Normal (ish) operating temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal (ish) operating temps

So I just put in an 1100 motor into the 1000 (1073) and it seems to run hotter than the stock engine. I'm wondering what temps anyone else is getting with a 1073 or 1085 overbored engine.
    I just added an oil cooler and still testing but I'm running consistent temps across the board as:
    - mid 300s F at the header
    - low 200s F at the plug, a little less on the side of the head
    - Oil cooler lines at the cooler 175F
    - the collector is about 175F
    - and in the low 100s F on the side case covers... The stator cover seems to be hotter for some reason.
    The gauge that screws in to oil fill hole reads about 70C (129F) (yes I bought a C gauge, either didn't notice it was C or they sent the wrong one!)

From what I can glesn I seem to be in fairly normal ranges, but thought I'd put it out there to the gallery
    1979 GS850 G
    1979 GS1000E Resto moded
    1993 Kawasaki ZR1100

The most effective means of preventing tyranny is to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, and more especially to give them knowledge of those facts. - Thomas Jefferson

Before I installed a cooler, my 11EZ's oil temps on hot summer days hovered at 300f or more. After, it never got much above 200. (GS1150 cooler).
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

If you're in the city that must be a lot of stop and going?
      How is that measured? Internal factory gauge?
      I'm a little iffy on the oil temp gauge sticking out of the oil fill hole... Yesterday on a brief ride it got up to 75 ish C, which seems reasonable.
      I hope to get out today for a more thorough ride after another jetting change.
      1979 GS850 G
      1979 GS1000E Resto moded
      1993 Kawasaki ZR1100

The most effective means of preventing tyranny is to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, and more especially to give them knowledge of those facts. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Are you using an IR temp gun to gather those temps? If so, I don't think they are meaningful.

Hopefully, you are using an 1150 filter cover and picked up the oil cooler take-offs, from the threaded ports on the lower front of the engine. Assuming yes, you are good to go.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNashville View Post
          If you're in the city that must be a lot of stop and going?
          How is that measured? Internal factory gauge?
          I'm a little iffy on the oil temp gauge sticking out of the oil fill hole.
          The 11EZ (aka 1982 1100E) comes with a dash mounted oil temperature gauge. It's lowest and highest designated numbers are 160 and 320, though the needle can register lower and higher. (The needle starts out below 160 when the engine is first started, and looks as if there's nothing stopping it from turning higher than 320.)

I don't recall that the needle ever pointed higher than 320, but it was certainly uncomfortably close. I bought her in October, so I never noticed anything amiss until June. Those high readings occurred on my weekly rides in the foothills of the Catskill mountains, less than 100 miles north of New York City on the Palisades Parkway, at speeds between 60 and 110 mph. No stopping, only going. Some steep hills.

Of course I installed a NOS 1150 filter cover, and the Suzuki cooler (from a GS 1150) is plumbed to the 'take-offs' on either side of the filter cover. What appears to be the original rubber lines were attached to the cooler when I bought it from a member here, so it was 'plug and play.'

Since installing the cooler, I have never seen the needle go above 200, leading me to wonder if it was running too cool, and not boiling off condensation. My winter 'thermostat' is a piece of cardboard twist tied to the face of the cooler, which as near as I can tell makes absolutely no difference in running temps.

And though it's not indicated, I think it's safe to say that these are Fahrenheit readings.
          Last edited by Rob S.; 05-27-2024, 08:29 PM.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Are you using an IR temp gun to gather those temps? If so, I don't think they are meaningful.

Hopefully, you are using an 1150 filter cover and picked up the oil cooler take-offs, from the threaded ports on the lower front of the engine. Assuming yes, you are good to go.
            I am using an IR gun for the external temps. I don't understand why they wouldn't be reasonably usable for external temps as some idea what the temps are. I also have the oil temp gauge in the oil fill plug... I don't have a lot of confidence in that, plus it's in Celcius, so I have to do the math which is a PIA. It's been running about 80 C on that gauge.

I had planned on putting a temp sensor on the oil pressure switch housing, but I'm not sure I can do that with the cooler setup I have, since I'm using the two hose adapter there.

I was looking at using the oil filter cover type, but it doesn't seem the 1150 cover will work on the 1000. I found on similar that looks like it will fit the 1000, but I have to investigate further.

I did solve some major timing issues today and got the main jet very close so I expect some changes on the next ride. Once I get the pilot jet solved, I think temps may moderate and be less of a concern. I hope anyway!
            Last edited by JoeNashville; 05-29-2024, 12:18 AM.
            1979 GS850 G
            1979 GS1000E Resto moded
            1993 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

Working...
            X