clutch grabbing and shaky riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
    Did you put in new clutch springs? I didn't see a mention of that.
    I did put in new clutch hub springs, also gotten off z1. However the springs on the back of the primary definitely are loose I just don’t have the funds to get an ape replacement at the moment. But other than a bit of noise I don’t think that’s contributing to muc

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused View Post
      You should have a minimum 1/16" play at the clutch lever. I like about an 1/8th - although I don't remember which bike you have so you'll need to follow the proper clutch adjustment found in the FSM ( field service manual )

The early 750 engine has a trivial clutch adjustment procedure and I've dealt with it eventually needing to replace my friction discs and cleaning up the clutch backet because of notches worn into it. No cheap stuff available here.

My 78 GS1000 engine I've experienced clutch issues with and this turned into a friction disc replacement. I've also expereinced a broken friction disc that would cause clutch creep. I've broken several discs a couple of times. Long story, extended swing arm, fat tire and lots of throttle :-)

Also, the clutch cable needs to be routed in such a way that it doesn't bind up.
      I changed clutch plates on my second 1000G by laying on its side on rolls of old carpet. Didn't have to change the oil. I would also look hard at the clutch cable. There are some poor quality ones out there that aren't really up to it. Sheaths that compress, stretchy cable.
      Last edited by 850 Combat; 06-30-2024, 04:32 PM.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post

I changed clutch plates on my second 1000G by laying on its side on rolls of old carpet. Didn't have to change the oil. I would also look hard at the clutch cable. There are some poor quality ones out there that aren't really up to it. Sheaths that compress, stretchy cable.
        Just happened to notice today i made a cable adjustment and after pulling the clutch in once just to see how it felt the position was already way off. stretchy cable hit the nail on the head. i noticed when i have it adjust correctly and it stays where i put it theres no more grabbyness and that sound of the motor trying to drive almost stalling is gone.

Comment

Working...
        X