Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100 idle issue

hey all,

ive made a post or two about this problem before but i think ive finally gotten all the data and have a clear picture of whats going on. hopefully somebody has some insight.

When idling (around 1k) the bike sounds like its going to stall. it sounds like if you were to be on the edge of the friction zone and go a little too far without throttle and have that sort of clunking sound from the motor trying to keep going.

- already changed clutch hub nut/clutch pack. basket isnt the most perfect but not terribly worn
    - going to check starter clutch bolts if i can get the damn thing off, but as far as i can tell they arent backed out. maybe heads broken off
    - no other symptoms of engine troubles. no lack of power/other noises
    - shifts fine, doesnt seem to be any trans issues
    - the sound definitely sounds like its coming from the bottom of the bike i.e clutch or magneto side. bottom of engine even.
    - only other issue i have seems to be a small air leak that im still trying to find/seal up, it makes my idle creep up after a long ride

Does sound/clunking change when you pull in clutch? Since you had a go at clutch hub area , maybe something got reinstalled wrong.

Shop online for OEM Clutch parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS1100G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Does sound/clunking change when you pull in clutch? Since you had a go at clutch hub area , maybe something got reinstalled wrong.

https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts...8b4ecf8/clutch
      No, if anything it’s quieter when I pull in the clutch.

Comment

Does it idle better if you increase the idle speed up? Say to 1200 or 1300 rpm? Maybe you have a bad tach, and it actually is idling too slow?

I have mine set to idle at about 1200 rpm for what it's worth!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Me too. Tach showing 1K, the bike sounds like it's maybe about to quit. My 750 idles really happily at about 1200 rpm. Book says should be 1100, for what that's worth.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yeah same for me if I up it to 1200 It sounds just fine.

Comment

If your tach cable was broke, you wouldn't have an idling problem. You'd just set the idle to where it needs to be & that would be good...Hint, hint.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                If your tach cable was broke, you wouldn't have an idling problem. You'd just set the idle to where it needs to be & that would be good...Hint, hint.
                that as well as not looking at it lol

Comment

Working...
                X