Shift pedal not returning to center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift pedal not returning to center

I searched the forums and could not find this issue. Hoping someone has ideas or suggestions.

1983 Suzuki GS850G

When shifting (up or down doesn't matter) the shift pedal does not return to center. In other words, when shifting up, once I change gears I need to slightly push the shift pedal down and then I can shift up to the next gear. Once in a higher gear, if I need to shift down (i.e. 5th to 4th) if I want to go one more gear down (4th to 3rd) I have to slightly pull up on the shift pedal, and then I can shift down one gear. As you can imagine, it makes it very difficult to ride.

Also, the bike has been sitting for almost 2 years. The first year because I was getting a lot of clutch slipping in 5th. 2nd year because I moved and didn't have time to replace the clutch. I put new (EBC) springs and friction disks in, and when I went to ride it this shifting issue occurred.

I'm open to any suggestions or ideas!!

Have a look at this
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll drain the oil and check it out. I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by vpminneci View Post
        Thanks for that. I'll drain the oil and check it out.
        Oil shmoil. Put a Dixie cup under the engine and get to work!
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

When you played with clutch, you misaligned something. Note in that link to beware wrong gasket thickness.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X