Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 Suzuki GS850- Valve cover reinstall.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 Suzuki GS850- Valve cover reinstall.

Hi folks,
    looking for the correct step by step to reinstall a gasket on the valve cover. Tightening bolts etc.
    There's not too much info in my owner's manual like there is with a cylinder head install [pecking order etc.]

What I do know:
    gasket
    half moon plugs
    permatex ultra black gasket sealer [ unless there's something that will perform better]
    and Tightening the bolts to 6.5 ft/lbs

Any one else have any resources with pictures that i can follow ?

So are you anticipating removing it ,or is it already off? valve clearances check?
    get a genuine Suzuki gasket….knockoffs can be iffy.
    you’ll spend more time carefully removing old stuck on gasket then installing new one. Goop not needed on cover gasket, just light spray . Maybe some goop on half moons…if you need new ones..
    Try to buy/borrow a small torque wrench….normal ones don’t work well under 10ftlbs

tighten bolts in two steps….starting at center and working to edges
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Definitely get some feeler gauges and check valve clearance while you're there, if you haven't. Even if the bike seems to run fine the clearance gets smaller as miles rack up and it'll do bad things if left unchecked.

If you're avoiding that because you don't have a gasket for the ignition (points) cover dont worry, there's no oil in there. You can just trace that cover on a cereal box and make a gasket.

Curious, tom203, what light spray are you referring to?

I've sprayed WD40 on them or even given a light smear of grease. This makes it way easier to pull off in 5k miles to take another peek at valve shims.

Something that helps during new gasket installation is to lay it on a piece of cardboad (the thin card gaskets come on works well) get it in position over the engine and slide the cardboard out feom underneath it. It'll drop right in place.

The bolts should be tightened from the center, near the cam chain, outward.

There's alway "while your in there" stuff you can do, like if the tachometer drive seal is leaking pop it out now and replace the O-ring and maybe the drive thing too. Sometimes they get stuck and having the cover off makes it easier to remove the drive. Oh, did we mention checking valve clearance.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

I suggest a small 1/4" ratchet wrench, and skip the torque wrench. Way too many threads get stripped from guys trying to hit a number on a torque wrench.

Goop on the round portion of the half moon. And agree on using an OEM gasket.`
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The service manual is available at BikeCliffs (forum superstar around here) someone knows the link. I'm at work and don't have it here.

If you want to use a torque wrench - make sure it's INCH pounds and not foot pounds. Nessism is correct and some of these issues can't be repaired.
          Be nice with a 1/4 drive socket/rachet combo and you'll be ok.

After-market gaskets usually suck. No, not usually, they just do.

I goop the whole sealing surface on my half moons. My KZ1172 has aluminum ones and this is why I do this. Ultra black is good

Good time to adjust the valves or at least check them - same thing with the spark plugs and the timing chain. The auto tensioners tend to stick after years of neglect.

Also, you have a breather on top of the valve cover - pull it apart, check for residual oil and clean it out if needed. Clean the mesh inside as well but don't forget to put it in.

Tom is probably reffering to silicon spray, not sure though. I do this with carb gaskets to prevent ripping them apart...
          Current:
          1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
          1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
          1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
          1998 Chevy C2500
          1999 Rav4

Comment

”I suggest a small 1/4" ratchet wrench, and skip the torque wrench. Way too many threads get stripped from guys trying to hit a number on a torque wrench.“

I put off buying one 15 years ago…figured I wouldn’t use it much. But at this price I just bought one off bezos…note the name!

beats doing it the old way with the fish de-liar…yes, I stripped at least one last time…..little torque guy should be no worse than ratchet setup..hard to feel 7ftlbs on your fingers!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My old way….
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
              X