Is there any way to reduce 5th gear RPM on a 79 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any way to reduce 5th gear RPM on a 79 GS850

I have a 79 GS 850 (shaft drive). With the speeds of highways these days my co-riders usually like to run at about 130 to 140 km/h. My bike is reving high at that speed and I would like a taller 5th gear for the final drive. Being shaft drive I can't simply change a sprocket. Can I change a gear in the trans? Someone said to put a taller rear tire on. I'm not sure I like that idea and I don't think that would change things significantly. Any suggestions?

Your stuck with what you have. There is no way to change the gear ratio. The only possible way is to change the rear diff for one from an 83-84 1100GK some, not all had a 2.9 ratio instead of the standard 3.1. It will only make 300-400 rpm difference

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid that it was not changable. I'm going to look into changing the rear diff...even 3-400 rpm would help. That or switching out the engine for an 1100. Do you know if any years/models would be better than others?

Comment

The engine is made to spin, RPM won't hurt it.
        Unless you want to sound like a Harely or something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

All 1983+ GS1100 shaft drive bikes have the 2.9 rear end. It makes a noticeable difference and doesn't cause engine lugging. Suzuki should have done that from the start, or added a 6th gear. It won't hurt to rev the engine, but it does get a little annoying.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks. The RPM is not bad for a while but 600 mile days would be nicer if it was reving lower and not vibrating so much. I did not know you could ad a 6th gear. Is there a kit available or how is it done?

Comment

Originally posted by 79GS850VETTER View Post
              Thanks. The RPM is not bad for a while but 600 mile days would be nicer if it was reving lower and not vibrating so much. I did not know you could ad a 6th gear. Is there a kit available or how is it done?
              Suzuki could have (should have) added a sixth gear when they designed and built the bike. You can't now, not practically.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Sync your carbs. This will cut the vibration.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid that it was not changable. I'm going to look into changing the rear diff...even 3-400 rpm would help. That or switching out the engine for an 1100. Do you know if any years/models would be better than others?
                  Switching engines isn't that straight forward. The shaft will also have to be replaced, and I believe the carbs and airbox also need to be swapped. Easier to just do the diff. Good luck

Comment

Buy a chain drive 1100.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

sounds like rear diff is the most reasonable approach. I'll start looking for one. If I get one in I'll let you know how it went. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Comment

600 mile days? where are you going bro? Hell i live off of my bike and still don't go 600 miles.

Comment

600+ mile days on a GS850:

1) Manic Salamander bar end weights.

2) Twist that grip on the right as needed.

3) Stop whining. The engine loves to spin. So let it spin.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            600+ mile days on a GS850:

1) Manic Salamander bar end weights.

2) Twist that grip on the right as needed.

3) Stop whining. The engine loves to spin. So let it spin.
                            Hey Brian, any recommendations on a good set of bar end mirrors that would allow me to use those fancy bar end weights? My horizontally challenged shoulders prevent any use whatsoever out of the stock mirrors, (plus I think they look hideous on the 1100E personally) but I would love to have some weights out there...

Comment

sounds like rear diff is the most reasonable approach. I'll start looking for one. If I get one in I'll let you know how it went. Thank you all for your suggestions.
                              I'm running an '83 GS1100 diff in my GS850GN. With the new 2.9-1 ratio, the engine rpm in 5th gear at 100 kph, dropped from 4500 to 4100.

If you want to further reduce the rpm in 5th gear, you need to split the cases and fit the higher ratio 5th gear set from a '83 onwards 850 or 1100. This change will reduce the rpm at 100 kph a further 400 rpm (3700). I have bought a new 5th gear set myself and will fit them to my spare engine, a monster big bore 850 project soon to be started.
                              Last edited by 49er; 03-28-2010, 02:26 AM.
                              The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X