clutch shifting on 450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch shifting on 450

Working on 81 450 and put clutch cable back on, and adjusted the clutch screw in the clutch cover till resistance was meet and back out 1/4 turn like manual says to do. Adjusted cable up at handle, and can't seem to get adjusted tight enough. Have ordered a new cable. It will shift some times up and down, but sometimes will only shift if I let off the clutch handle just a little and then it will click into gear very easily. Seems to do it more shifting down. I'm hoping a new cable will solve it. If not what else might I be looking at?

cleaning the clutch plates

Comment

Still not shifting right

Put the new clutch cable on, and it did seem to help, but I can't get it to shift most of the time unless I slightly let off handle and it clicks into gear. This bike has the screw inside side cover to adjust first, manual says to turn in till you feel some resistance then turn back out 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Not quite sure how much to turn in? So I guess the next step is taking off cover and pulling out clutch plates and cleaning or replacing? Should I replace the springs while in there? terrylee

Comment

you screw the adjuster screw on the side cover until it touches the rod behind it then back it off 1/4th to half a screw like you said but be sure to tighten the nut that holds it in place while using a screw driver to prevent the screw from moving while you tighten the nut. Otherwise I mean yeah I'd clean the clutch plates but only if that doesn't work. You should make sure the cables adjusted tight enough too... And cleaning the clutch plates is really easy by the way, I'd use WD-40 and change out the oil for 10W-40 or 20W-40.

Comment

Thanks, I think I may have tightened mine too much. Will try it again. Hope to clean everything this weekend. terrylee

Comment

Working...
          X