GS750 oil pan plug sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 oil pan plug sizes

Got an 1978 gs750 oil pan plug off ebay. Much to my surprise the plug from my old pan is too small for this new pan. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Did some 1978's have a larger diameter plug?

Scudder

i thinks you bought a pan that has been tapped to a larger size..
    i have not seen any difference in size myself from 77-86 550-1150.
    someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

Thanks. That make more sense. Back to the drawing board.

Scudder

Comment

Hi,

Why not go to the auto parts store and get an oversized plug that fits? Seems like a simple solution. If the pan is good, just get a plug that fits.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It's possible that someone Helicoiled the pan and the Helicoil came out with the old drain plug, which they often do.

Do the threads look sharp and freshly cut and definitely a lot bigger, or just stripped out and the next oversize drain plug put in?

If you have the pan in hand, a decent machine shop should be able to put in a permanent steel thread insert that will end the problem forever. The stock drain plug thread is 14mm diameter X 1.25 pitch, which is the same as the common spark plug thread, so there are plenty of inserts available.

The problem is finding a decent machine shop...
          Last edited by bwringer; 05-16-2010, 04:40 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X