GS650 Cylinder Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 Cylinder Head

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between an 1982 GS650G head and a 1983 GS650G head as the part numbers are different.

Cheers

John

Well here's all I know.

my 82 gs650g needed a new valve gasket, which obviously is part of the upper head bolt area.

I went to the shop to get the gasket, took it home, realized it didn't quite fit!
    Took it back, and apparently the "clerk" told me that there was TWO different style Heads/Valve gaskets for my 82

He said there were some bikes made in 1982 that actually used a 1981 style head/valve assembly......he said some were left over from the 81 production or some crap, so they used the rest up on some of the 82's.....

I actually have a post on this somewhere.....because of how my valve gasket didn't fit right.....(there were like 2 or 3 bolt holes on the gasket that didn't quite match......but I did a tiny bit of trimming and made em fit.)

========

I know this isnt exactly related, but this IS one of the differences.

Comment

The 82 and later heads have 17 valve cover bolts while the 81 heads only use 16. As far as the heads, I don't think there is any other differences, you can bolt up an 82 on an 81. If you do, just be sure to get the later valve cover and you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
      X