No announcement yet.

What to do about the cylinder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, you can search the net for the Threebond brand. Same stuff. That one $18 tube will last years if you take care of it though. A little goes a long way. Maybe the Threebond comes in smaller sizes.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Sweet!

OK, for those who care, I took the time last Saturday to get the case split in half and sort out whats what. It was pretty easy. A couple of tips i have for anyone who is going to do this are as follows.
      1)Use a piece of cardboard and draw a diagram(outline) of the case half as seen from the top and then one from the bottom. Then punch small holes that will represent where each bolt is located. This makes assembly 100 times easier because you wont have to try and figure out which bolt goes to what hole.
      2)If your case has never been split...prepare for a slight battle with the sealant used between the two halves. Do not under any circumstances use a screw driver or pry bar on the sealing surfaces. You could FUBAR it. I soaked the seam where the halves meet with PB blaster's penetrating catalyst. I sprayed it once, waited 10 minutes, came back and did it again and waited another 10 minutes. That stuff helps a ton. I recommend it for any stubborn gasket removal. The stiff disintegrates styrofoam cups in a matter of minutes after all.
      Im not experienced with any motor other than the gs650g's as of now. so take the following as is. There are two "pry" points on opposite sides of the engine case. One at the towards rear left and one towards the front right or visa versa. Ill take pictures once i get home this weekend.
      These specific spots are not at all a part of the sealing surface. There is a couple of things you can do here. One method, which i used, was to pry at these points with a small pry-bar to split the case a little. Once a small gap was made, I used a dead blow hammer and a plastic wedge, working my way around the case to gradually and evenly separate the halves. (please use common sense and do not hammer away at any location where you may hit any of the vital parts located inside)
      Another method would've been to use a bolt through the hole in the top of these tabs I'm calling pry points. Those tabs are attached to the top case half. Then under each one is a small u shaped channel attached to the bottom half. It appears they could hold a nut for said bolt. If you use a perfect sized nut with a long enough bolt, and tighten said bolt, i think it could work better than the hammer and wedge method. IMO I believe that's what these two tabs were desiged for. I would've used this method myself if i had a nut laying around that fit in the channel. Blah blah would've could've should've.
      Regardless, Its fairly easy. From my experience so far, it's only intimidating at first. But once you get it spread apart, as far as the internals go, youll find that there are few moving parts. And all of it is grouped together very simply. You have your Crankshaft assembly with connecting rods and alternator attached. Then you have your tranny gears which are pretty much two spindles of gears. And the you have your secondary gear for the output shaft.

My next step in this endeavor is to clean all the sealing surfaces and inspect the moving parts to make sure they are all within tolerances. I may leave the inspection process to a shop. Depends how frisky i get. Ive already cleaned everything else and recovered the awol cam chain links. Once all that is completed, Its assembly time. I cant wait. The only way Ive been able to rationalize my laziness and soothe the pain of not having ridden her yet is telling myself its too hot and humid to ride. Which is true. 90's with hellish humidity isn't fun with ATGATT. Thats why i love fall. Spring like temps without the allergies. Plus very beautiful colors. Anyways, Ill get around to posting the pics sometime this coming weekend.
      Til next time
      On a side note, I may end up moving this to the rebuild section of the forum.

Comment

Working...
      X