Upgrade GS1000 clutch to 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade GS1000 clutch to 1100

I just got a message back from APE responding to my inquiry about possibly beefing up my GS1000 clutch to something similar to their "Gorilla" upgrade for the GS1100. I was advised that the problem with the GS1000 clutch was the basket and that there was nothing out there anymore to replace it with except to use a GS1100 clutch assembly and space out the "cover". Anyone know exactly which "cover" they might be talking about? What have you done to address the weak basket issue? I've seen what an exploding basket will do, and it's not pretty.

you can space out the cover but that won't help.
    the 1100 basket won't fit in the cases unless around .500 is machined from the thickness.
    you then have to run an 1100 inner hub and all of the 1100 steels and fibers.
    or else you have to mix and match the 1000/1100 parts..(its been a while sense i done a conversion).
    and yes the 1000 8v. chain drive basket is made weak but on a street bike an H/D backing plate kit is usually all anyone needs.
    shoooooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    do you really like this bike that much
    you can still have an H/D backing plate kit installed.
    P/M me if you want a contact to do it for you.

Comment

APE confirmed about the machining- .375" or so. My bike had a history of some drag racing use by the previous owner, a local Suzuki shop Service Mgr. When I bought it, 3rd gear was bad (since replaced). I have no doubt that the clutch had been abused, When I tear it down to do some other work, the clutch will be coming out, so at the least, it needs to be crack-tested. I'm starting a list of 1100 upgrades I want to make- swing arm, 1100G head & cams, etc, so adding a clutch assembly to the list is not a big deal. Might even be able to find a basket case or make a deal with one of my local used parts guys for a package deal.
      Let me know though on the backing plate upgrade. That may be a good intermediate option.

Comment

you should upgrade(H/D backing plate) an 1100 basket also.
        so it depends on how much you want to spend.
        if you send your basket to john pearson and have an H/D backing plate kit installed then you should be good with the 1000 basket and parts.
        so APE told you that you couldn't have your 1000 basket done?
        why did APE say you needed to space your clutch cover out?
        i'm curious as to what i stated above is common knowledge with these engines.
        FYI
        you will lose clutch area if you go with the 1100 set up because the plates are smaller diameter and you will have less plates after the machine work.
        Jay runs a top notch outfit..i'm just wondering about the original information you received.

Comment

The beefed up stock GS 1000 clutch will handle a street motor, no problem

Lots of guys are running 100+ RWHP with it
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big T is right. The GS1000 clutch with the HD backing plate and springs will easily hold up on a modded street bike with a street tire. In order to put the 1100 basket in that motor (and keep the stock # of plates), the basket has to be cut down and the clutch cover has to be spaced out with a spacer from a lock-up clutch (mine measures 1/2 inch). You then need a longer than stock "rack piece" for the release mechanism. After all this, you then have to bend the rear brake lever to fit and also move the foot peg outward slightly. Its a major pain in the butt. I have this set up on my street bike, but only because I had all the parts from my drag race days and the basket that came with the bike I have now was beat hard and had severe wear.....I now can only touch the ground "flat footed" on the left side but I have gotten used to it....Billy

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
              Big T is right. The GS1000 clutch with the HD backing plate and springs will easily hold up on a modded street bike with a street tire. In order to put the 1100 basket in that motor (and keep the stock # of plates), the basket has to be cut down and the clutch cover has to be spaced out with a spacer from a lock-up clutch (mine measures 1/2 inch). You then need a longer than stock "rack piece" for the release mechanism. After all this, you then have to bend the rear brake lever to fit and also move the foot peg outward slightly. Its a major pain in the butt. I have this set up on my street bike, but only because I had all the parts from my drag race days and the basket that came with the bike I have now was beat hard and had severe wear.....I now can only touch the ground "flat footed" on the left side but I have gotten used to it....Billy
              i'm really confused.
              once you cut the 1100 basket down it will never hold the same amount of clutch plates no matter how far you space out the clutch cover.
              the plates can't hang out of the basket???what good would that do???
              a lock up is one thing but i have no idea of what type of set up your talking about.
              please explain in depth.
              thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                i'm really confused.
                once you cut the 1100 basket down it will never hold the same amount of clutch plates no matter how far you space out the clutch cover.
                the plates can't hang out of the basket???what good would that do???
                a lock up is one thing but i have no idea of what type of set up your talking about.
                please explain in depth.
                thanks.
                Well I thought that was in depth. The only part I left out was trimming the vertical area of the cases where the basket sits behind. Its a small area and can be cut down to allow more basket clearance. You only take whats absolutely necessary off the basket to allow clearance. (9) clutch fibers will fit and they dont stick out of the basket. I used this same set up combined with an MTC Forged 1100 basket with stock Suzuki fibers (1100) and a straight cut gear in my old drag bike(ran 8:30's @ 155)....With 9 fibers and the HD red springs there was no slippage...The GS1000 only has 8 fibers so the increased area was sufficient.....I used a lock up at one time but never liked it. We called it the "Trash Compactor" as we were convinced that we could put rocks in it and have no slippage. It was just too much.....Billy

Comment

so i believe they didn't remove .375 from your 1100 basket.
                  i never clearanced the cases in that area before when i installed the 1100 basket.
                  i knew that the 1100 basket wouldn't even fit between the cases and the input shaft unless the basket was machined.
                  i understand what your talking about now.
                  remove just enough material from the cases to get the 1100 basket inside and then you have to add distance w/ a spacer to let the clutch cover and ratchet mechanism work/fit properly because of the wider basket.
                  back when people ran the 8v. GS stuff they had to figure out how to make them live in all area's when making 200 HP or more.
                  sounds like something ken tipton or murdoch would have offered back in the day.
                  ive had billet 8v. baskets before so i thought that was the ultimate fix for the 1000's trouble area.
                  thanks for the last little bit of info as that let me understand your set up.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    so i believe they didn't remove .375 from your 1100 basket.
                    i never clearanced the cases in that area before when i installed the 1100 basket.
                    i knew that the 1100 basket wouldn't even fit between the cases and the input shaft unless the basket was machined.
                    i understand what your talking about now.
                    remove just enough material from the cases to get the 1100 basket inside and then you have to add distance w/ a spacer to let the clutch cover and ratchet mechanism work/fit properly because of the wider basket.
                    back when people ran the 8v. GS stuff they had to figure out how to make them live in all area's when making 200 HP or more.
                    sounds like something ken tipton or murdoch would have offered back in the day.
                    ive had billet 8v. baskets before so i thought that was the ultimate fix for the 1000's trouble area.
                    thanks for the last little bit of info as that let me understand your set up.
                    I did the machining on the basket myself. It took 4 or 5 test fits to get it right as you only want to take bare minimum off the basket. Your close, Ken Tipton provided the FORGED basket and Mike Murdoch provided the lock-up spacer and longer release rack. I also had an 1100 16V crankshaft in it with the 1100 rods courtesy of Falicon, and custom case and cylinder studs thanks to Jay at APE......Still have the bike....Billy

Comment

the good old days......
                      dragbike! IDBA and early Prostar.
                      thanks again for the added information and the memories.

Comment

Working...
                      X