Need to replace 3rd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace 3rd gear

How do you get the tranny gears off of the shaft?
    I need to replace third gear and the manual isnt much help.

You have to press the assembly apart. I've never done this so can't comment further but you may want to mention the model and year of bike you have.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah that would be a help wouldn't it. LOL!
      1981 GS1100 front set of tranny gears 3rd gear over going from left to right.
      Bikebandit says its the third driven gear.
      Is this something you can accomplish from home or with a press....or is there a special tool????

Comment

have you thought about sending it off and having it back cut?
        may be near as cheap in the end.
        so you have a 16 or 8 valve model?
        if you need any transmissions let me know..i have 10 or 12 complete on the shelf.(16v. only)

Comment

Its a 16v engine. I thought about having it back cut but didnt really think it would be necessary. I am on a tight budget not that that warrants cutting corners but I am only doing what is absolutely necessary for my build. It is my understanding from what I have read the tranny in stock form should be good for up to 200hp for regular street use and a occasional run down the quarter mile.

What I really need to know is what gear gets pressed off of the shaft to get to the third gear, or does both sides (end gears) come off??????

Comment

If you can find a lower mileage unit, why not just replace the tranny? Seems easier than rebuilding it.

Comment

dogs and slots and shift forks wear(bend from disengaging action).
              a person always has to replace more than one part.
              when you have a tranny back cut they reshape the dogs and slots which means you do not have to buy new suzuki parts.
              street bikes can benefit from back cutting.
              its not really an H/P thing..bad is bad but if you make more H/P then the dogs will jump out of the slots easier than if you have a stock engine.
              John Pearson does all my transmission work so i have no input on the disassembly part of the shafts.

Comment

Hmmmm... that makes allot of sense. I guess I was just looking at the fact that I had an extra tranny lying in the basement that had the gear I needed in good condition and I was just going to swap them. All the rest of the gears and dogs are in good shape.
                Now I am not sure what I am going to do?
                I am sure there are some variables but what on the average does getting the tranny back cut cost?

Comment

call john pearson @ pearson racing
                  just ask him...937-839-9723
                  tell him terry from pro cycle sent you.
                  Last edited by blowerbike; 05-17-2010, 04:22 PM. Reason: yes

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post

What I really need to know is what gear gets pressed off of the shaft to get to the third gear, or does both sides (end gears) come off??????
                    I am pretty sure the transmission is almost identical to the GS1000. The only gear that is pressed on is 2nd drive gear and it does have to come off to change third gear. You will want a proper manual showing where all the shims and clips etc. go. If it was mine, I would send it out to have a "street cut" done on it.....Billy

Comment

Working...
                    X