Drive lash with chain drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive lash with chain drive

I searched and found a number of threads on drive lash with shafties, but not much for chain drive, so here goes. I've got what seems to me to be a fair amount of lash and I'm curious about it.

I have a GS750B and when I put it up on the centerstand in first gear and work the rear wheel, the chain moves about one link from stop to stop. There doesn't seem to be any slop in the rear hub or anything, so I don't think the cush drive is the culprit. It's farther forward.

Is there a spec for how much movement is acceptable? If this is too much, any ideas where I might start looking for wear and tear?

I'd appreciate any help I can get on this one!

cush drives are not noticeable as culprits
    can you check the lash witht he bike in first gear with a friend watching the relationship between the sprocket and the hub.

I had a set go once but they are still hard as hell to human hands

Comment

All 80's Japanese bikes were known for driveline lash. I think the fit of the dogs is a big part of it.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Not the cush drive

It is definitely not the cush drive, the movement comes from up at the drive sprocket end of the transmission. I checked my other bike (2005 V-Strom) and it has only slightly less movement under the same conditions (center stand, first gear), so I guess you're right, it's just the nature of the beast.

However, I find it curious that I barely notice the lash on the V-Strom and yet it is very noticeable on the GS. Who knows.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by The Voice of Reason View Post
          It is definitely not the cush drive, the movement comes from up at the drive sprocket end of the transmission. I checked my other bike (2005 V-Strom) and it has only slightly less movement under the same conditions (center stand, first gear), so I guess you're right, it's just the nature of the beast.

However, I find it curious that I barely notice the lash on the V-Strom and yet it is very noticeable on the GS. Who knows.

Thanks!
          you have check you chain for stretch as well as the front sprocket for wear?

Comment

My GS has more lash than my GPz or my (now sold) KZ. Perhaps something in the design? But I agree, it is up front at the transmission, not at the rear wheel. And I keep a close eye on my chain and sprockets, so I am confident it is not that (at least on my bike).

Comment

Working...
            X