X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master link removal techniques?

I am dealing with the chain from hell...see question below

Here's the offending link:

After scouring the shop at my school for either a chain break tool or a die grinder w/ a cutoff wheel (neither could be found), I ended up dremeling off those ugly hex spacers and taking them off. NBD...I should just be able to push those pieces through right?

WRONG! Because I can't find said chain break tool, I used a 2-jaw puller to try and push one of the pins through, and its being a f**king b***ard to get off. The puller can't push it through (even with me turning on it with a wrench) and it eventually gets to the point where it snaps off the chain, not doing a damn thing to push the pin through. Next I tried a punch, which was even less effective.

How can you break an o-ring chain? I can survive not riding for a week (its unfortunate, but I'd rather be safe than sorry) until my new chain arrives (can't count on it being here this week since I ordered from Cheap Cycle Parts) but I'm still gonna have to get this motherf***er off one of these days, and its not gonna come off by itself. I've only dealt with standard bike chains up to this point and this is my first o-ring chain. Is this normal? Is there some special technique to getting an o-ring chain apart?

If you are replacing the chain, why not just use the dremel to cut a link in half? That's what I did with my old rusted solid chain.

Comment

Or cut those pins off and take a large flat head screw drive; place it between the plates and a small 2x4 under it and smack it as hard as you can. It works.

Comment

^^ Oh yea, I tried wedging a flathead in there and trying to pry it off. No dice. And I wasn't willing to try like the last time I tried to pry something with a flathead...the time when I snapped the shank right in front of my face...

I could just dremel the link I guess, but I was under the impression that I could just replace it with a clip-type master link (aka what I'm used to...I thought all bike chains used those master links?). But its from a normal 530 chain and I have a feeling it won't be compatible with my o-ring chain. Is that true?

I'm kinda bummed its turning out this way. And its all because I need to fit a chain guard for an inspection sticker...

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
          Or cut those pins off and take a large flat head screw drive; place it between the plates and a small 2x4 under it and smack it as hard as you can. It works.
          Ditto
          It works
          Remind me to never to use those kind of Master Links.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hack it off anyway you can and shout yourself a new chain and sprockets . Like Theo said , a dremmel or small grinder with a cut off blade will do the trick .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I strongly suggest that you will want an o-ring master link. Mine have 4 o-rings included, one for each side of each pin.
              You either need to use a chain breaker or cut the plates in two with a cutting wheel.

Comment

I use the chain breaker from Pit Posse. Works for installing the new chain too...

To weaken the chain I removed I just took a file to the end of the pins.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I just got really ****ed today because the task didnt turn out as I had hoped, and was kinda that way for a lot of other things today. Tomorrow I'll have a much more level head (but unfortunately not that much time) so I can take a cutting wheel to the offending link and finally take off the chain. I don't like being destructive to parts, but since this chain is from hell it deserves to go to hell

I also realized that my order isn't going to be here before the long weekend, and I REALLY want to get a sticker so I can ride this thing. So what I'm thinking is I'll go out and get a replacement non-o ring chain (should be about 20-30 bucks) and ride that for a week before my new stuff comes in (o-ring chain and sprockets). My commute is about a mile and I don't take longer rides because, well, there just aren't enough hours in the day aside from school and work. So I figure a standard chain for a week isn't going to hurt anyone, and well worth it to have a spare anyway.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X