Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spline questions for the shafties out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spline questions for the shafties out there.

So I got an 83 GS 650GL, currently Im at 29k miles and I bought it at 18k miles.

I got new tires put on at 18k and still riding them today, I greased up the spline while it was in view but didnt take it apart to inspect the teeth. Its been 11k miles since it was greased. I did change out the rear gear oil around 25k miles.

I have noticed some power lost to the wheel at high load on the bike, I would say mostly if I am going 80+ mph into the wind and give it some gas it will rev way high then kick back in and go when I back off the throttle. Also more noticeable riding it 2up and same thing only if I give it a good twist, if I accelerate slow it chugs along fine.

I been searching clutch slipping stuff on the forums here and think maybe its the spline as its only under load and higher speeds and I would hate to take apart and rebuild a clutch for no reason.

On to the questions, is the 83 supposed to have the "good" spline? If not what year / years should and what color is it again... I read it a few times but while Im asking would like to varify the right answer.

Now should I just look for a used one of the "good" ones or should I go with new?

Also part of the issue might be the grease I used, I got some generic high temp stuff but had no clue what I was doing back then and its likely not the right stuff.

Where do I get the good stuff and what exactly am I looking for? % of moly seems to stick out...

The back tire is getting low on tread, I hear 11k is decent miles for a rear so no complaints. I should order a new tire and check / replace the spline while its off...

Oh and the most important question, if you think that is my issue I really should park it right? I would hate for it to just give out all at once and if its slipping I likely have very little left.

what little i know about the rear splines, it seems with the symptoms you are having it may be the clutch/clutch springs. I had similar symptoms and changed the springs and all is good.
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

If your slipping issue is, in fact, the splines, I don't think it would come and go. I am guessing that is your clutch slipping, not your splines.

Now let's answer your questions:
      Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
      I have noticed some power lost to the wheel at high load on the bike, I would say mostly if I am going 80+ mph into the wind and give it some gas it will rev way high then kick back in and go when I back off the throttle. Also more noticeable riding it 2up and same thing only if I give it a good twist, if I accelerate slow it chugs along fine.
      Classic clutch slipping symptoms.

I been searching clutch slipping stuff on the forums here and think maybe its the spline as its only under load and higher speeds and I would hate to take apart and rebuild a clutch for no reason.
      No, if your splines were gone, they would not come and go, they would be GONE. Not much to fixing a slipping clutch, though, it's usually just a matter of replacing the springs. About $20 for a set of springs, about $10 for a gasket, and about half an hour of time. Do the job while the bike is on the side stand, you won't even have to drain the oil.

On to the questions, is the 83 supposed to have the "good" spline? If not what year / years should and what color is it again... I read it a few times but while Im asking would like to varify the right answer.
      The gold splines are the weak ones. I think the older ones are black, the newer ones are silver. Not sure what year started the silver ones.

Now should I just look for a used one of the "good" ones or should I go with new?
      That would depend on your budget. I think new ones are over $100. They are available on eBay from time to time, but you might have to get a complete wheel in the deal.

Also part of the issue might be the grease I used, I got some generic high temp stuff but had no clue what I was doing back then and its likely not the right stuff.

Where do I get the good stuff and what exactly am I looking for? % of moly seems to stick out...
      There might be others out there, but Honda Moly 60 is readily available (at a Honda dealer, obviously). It's a cartridge for the smaller grease gun, costs about $12 or so. One tube will last you a lifetime, even if you have several shafties. Just a light coating on the splines is all you need.

The back tire is getting low on tread, I hear 11k is decent miles for a rear so no complaints. I should order a new tire and check / replace the spline while its off...
      Yes, 11,000 is pretty good. What tire is it? Some of us are more interested in mileage than in ultimate grip that only lasts a few thousand miles.
      Again, I think your problem is more in the clutch department, but it is wise to check and grease your splines every time you have the rear wheel off.

Oh and the most important question, if you think that is my issue I really should park it right? I would hate for it to just give out all at once and if its slipping I likely have very little left.
      One last time, if your splines were gone, you would not even make it out the driveway to get stuck somewhere out on the road. While you are waiting for your new tire, order a set of STOCK clutch springs and a gasket so you can change that when you find that your splines are in good shape.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll be curious about the responses to the issue your experiencing. I would guess that if you were having spline/slippage issues you'd also feel them during quick starts from a dead stop.

As for lube, the best suggestion I've ever gotten was to use the Honda-Moly past which I bought at my local bike shop. I think it wasn't cheap, like maybe $10 for a smallish tube, but probably will last a lifetime unless I misplace it and have to by another one!

Comment

Skateguy, the 83's had the softer gold splines as OEM. If you have 29K and it has never been changed I would get one before you change your tire so you have it on hand in case you need it. I got 37K out of a gold one but that is about the max you can expect from them. The OEM replacements (superceeded part number) are a "silver" in color and are very good, the black 80-partial 81 splines are the hardest from what I hear and the gold splines are the softest metal of the three. I prefer to use the new OEM silver replacements but you can sometimes find the black ones on e-bay either in a wheel,seperate, or mis-listed for cheap. Most on us here use the Honda Moly paste to lube them.

As far as the power loss the spline is a go/no go part and I would look elsewhere for your power loss at speed.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Thanks for the info, got a few projects to add to the list then.

I did the front SS line swap and have the back lines ready to go in.

I will start looking into the clutch springs and see what I can read up on here, and more important find the pictures. I am pretty sure I got the gasket as it came with the set when I did the head and base gasket.

The tire passed safety inspection 1k miles ago but some folks at the wrenching party in Maine said it was getting low. The sides have a lot more tread left than the middle... mostly a commuter bike.

Comment

I will start looking into the clutch springs and see what I can read up on here, and more important find the pictures. I am pretty sure I got the gasket as it came with the set when I did the head and base gasket.
              Not much to it, really.

Put the bike on the side stand.

Remove the clutch cable.

Remove all the bolts arond the edge. (I draw the shpe of the cover on a piece of cardboard and place the bolts in the appropriate places.)

You will see six bolts near the center of the clutch hub. If you are going to inspect the friction discs or the inside of the hub, remove all of them, slide the discs out, but keep track of what direction they were facing.

If you are just going to change the springs, take out every other spring, put the new ones in. Now go back and do the other three.

Put the cover back on, with a new gasket.

Install the clutch cable and adjust it.

Go for a test ride.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X