valve clearance for suzuki gs 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve clearance for suzuki gs 550

If someone has a value of valve clearance for suzuki gs 550 I begged to let me write. Thanks!
    1979 Suzuki GS 500e

Originally posted by kruns View Post
    If someone has a value of valve clearance for suzuki gs 550 I begged to let me write. Thanks!
    That would be .03 to .08 mm. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Metric in the manual states its .08mm-.13mm. Which is .003-.005 inches.

This is for the 83-86 4 valve per cylinder 550's. Otherwise Ghost gave you the numbers for the older 550's.

Heres a thread with the numbers again and some of BassCliffs links in it. Should help you out tons.

If you could also.. Put your bike and any mods on it in your signature. Specific CC year and model. Like '85 GS550ES instead of GS550 or 550L.

Click on your username, User CP, Edit signature. And put it in there. Makes it much easier for us helping you guys out. I can give general knowledge on the older 550's, but the specs and valve timing etc im not 100% positive on so I stay away from it so I dont get you to mess anything up. As you can see also theres 2 sets of numbers for valve heights. This is why we need your year too.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Hi Mr. kruns,

We need to know the year of your bike also. The 8-valve engines have different clearances than the 16-valve engines.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses! It is actually about a motorcycle gs500e from signature, 8 valve, 27 horsepower. I checked the other day clearance on the valves and values range is from 0.30 mm to 0.10 mm! Clearances adjusted was checked only once past year, is it possible that my mechanic adjust wrong valve clearance?
          1979 Suzuki GS 500e

Comment

Not familiar with this model, is it a four cylinder or two cylinder? Which year model?

If it has two cylinder with four valves per cylinder, and screw type valve adjusters, it is something different than what we have.

If it is a four cylinder, with two valves per cylinder, and shim over bucket adjusters, it should be set to .03mm to .08 mm by the book, some folks use .03mm to .10mm with no problems.
            It doesn't seem that critical as long as there is at least the minimum .03mm clearance.
            A picture of your bike would be helpful.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

4 cylinders, 27 hp. It was made for the German market and is probably little known to You in US.
              I found some data for that engine but I do not know what it refers to the value indicated on second pic (0.3 mm)?

1979 Suzuki GS 500e

Comment

That's the wrong spec, that is clearance of the valve stem inside the valve guide.

With that engine, you should use .03mm - .08mm clearance between the cam and the shim, .10 would be OK, but don't go smaller than .03mm..

There is a manual available in Cliff's website which shows the procedure.

Comment

Ok, thank You very much!
                  1979 Suzuki GS 500e

Comment

looks like its the next column to the left you should be reading.

intake, 0.02-0.05 mm (0.0008 - 0.0020 in)
                    exhaust, 0.03 - 0.06 mm (0.0012 - 0.0024 in)

Comment

Interesting bike. Is that a 500 or a 550? Im used to the american 83+ 550's.. The head on that one looks so odd.

Comment

Suzuki GS500E. That is a very rare model and was produced for European market due to European legislation on the limitation of power and smaller taxes.
                        1979 Suzuki GS 500e

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                          looks like its the next column to the left you should be reading.

intake, 0.02-0.05 mm (0.0008 - 0.0020 in)
                          exhaust, 0.03 - 0.06 mm (0.0012 - 0.0024 in)
                          No, that is still the valve to valve guide clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Danjal View Post
                            Interesting bike. Is that a 500 or a 550? Im used to the american 83+ 550's.. The head on that one looks so odd.
                            Looks to be the same as other 8 valve engines to me. Ray
                            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              No, that is still the valve to valve guide clearance.
                              Well hope he understands now, what these forums are for.

Comment

Working...
                              X