crankcase breather for lower crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crankcase breather for lower crankcase

i did a quick search to see if any1 had posted before and didn't find anything. i would like to put a breather hose to my lower crankcase. i saw a pic of some1 with it installed some time back and am wondering, 1st how to do it. i mean do you drill a hole in your oil filler cap and jb weld a fitting in? 2nd does any1 have a ready made cap. 3rd does any1 have an extra cap for me to experiment with? btw i have an 81 1100e oh and since we're on the subject, is there a ready made oil catch can available or am i gonna have to custom make(have 1 made) 1.

Put simply, don't bother. If a case breather is sited wrong - and off the filler cap is wrong as it gets the fling off the clutch drum - you'll get too much solid oil coming out.Kawa Z style on top of the gearbox is the best.
    I've run more than one type of UJM 4 cylinder on dynos and have tried additional case breathers on most. Never found any improvement with a case breather but in a couple of cases have actually lost midrange with a breather fitted.
    What does work is transfer porting between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 so that pressure from under the descending piston helps "push" the rising piston up. This is usually done when the motor is torn down to the bare cases.

Greg T

Comment

crank case breathers are not essential but if the motor is tuned then crank case pressure has to be released somehow. they are available from goodridge as a direct replacement for the oil filler cap.
      you can fit either a catch tank or a small filter, widely available from bike shops or ebay

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I assume this is the one? Does it replace your stock oil cover?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5...Kits/Goodridge

thats the one but mine is gs1000 specific. replaces the original filler cap
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5...Kits/Goodridge

Also note that link is for the filter on the end only not the screw in part or flexi hose

Busa version :

Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2010, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schlyme View Post
              i did a quick search to see if any1 had posted before and didn't find anything. i would like to put a breather hose to my lower crankcase. i saw a pic of some1 with it installed some time back and am wondering, 1st how to do it. i mean do you drill a hole in your oil filler cap and jb weld a fitting in? 2nd does any1 have a ready made cap. 3rd does any1 have an extra cap for me to experiment with? btw i have an 81 1100e oh and since we're on the subject, is there a ready made oil catch can available or am i gonna have to custom make(have 1 made) 1.
              I have built a LOT of GS & GSXR engines & if you think you need more breather than the one on the top of the valve cover you are mistaken! If your bike is pushing oil out of the top breather, you have WAAYY too much blowby & need to correct that! Adding more breather won't correct a problem with blowby. What reason could you have for wanting more breather? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                I have built a LOT of GS & GSXR engines & if you think you need more breather than the one on the top of the valve cover you are mistaken! If your bike is pushing oil out of the top breather, you have WAAYY too much blowby & need to correct that! Adding more breather won't correct a problem with blowby. What reason could you have for wanting more breather? Ray.
                to prevent excessive pressure build up in the lower part of the engine and blowing oil seals and gaskets.

plus they look good!
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                  Ray,
                  I have a little oil seepage as well on my 1166.

Should I just drop my motor off at your house with a blank check soose you can fix it?
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mi-tatsu View Post
                    Also note that link is for the filter on the end only not the screw in part or flexi hose

Busa version :

http://www.bigccracing.com/shop/prod...?idproduct=108

Do you know if the Busa or GSXR have the same threads as the GS?
                    Edit : think I found somewhere they are all 20x1.5 mm
                    Last edited by posplayr; 05-27-2010, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Ray,
                      I have a little oil seepage as well on my 1166.

Should I just drop my motor off at your house with a blank check soose you can fix it?
                      Jim
                      Bring it down! Ray.

Comment

Do you know if the Busa or GSXR have the same threads as the GS?
                        you could always buy a s/h filler cap, get it machined flat and drilled and tapped for the goodridge hose. mine was a purpose made kit just for the GS but i have trawled the t'internet and i cant find the kits anywhere. maybe ebay is your last hope
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                          you could always buy a s/h filler cap, get it machined flat and drilled and tapped for the goodridge hose. mine was a purpose made kit just for the GS but i have trawled the t'internet and i cant find the kits anywhere. maybe ebay is your last hope
                          Thanks apparently the thread for the GS1100 is 30x1.5. I measured it at 30x1.6 so that is probably it.

This is the same size as the Kawasaki's

found this cross ref.

ZX6R 00-08 30MM
                          ZX9R 94-03 30MM
                          ZX10R 04-08 30MM
                          Z750 30MM
                          Z1000 03-08 30MM

I ordered one of these which I will tap with an NPT fitting an SS hose.

These are same size but a little more bling

http://www.orientexpress.com/Kawasak...66259241edbbb8

The Sato crosses to these

Fits:

Suzuki
                          GSX 1100S
                          GSX 750S
                          GS 750

Kawasaki
                          ZX 14 Ninja
                          ZZR 1400
                          ZX 12R Ninja
                          ZX 11 Ninja
                          ZZR 1100
                          ZX 10R Ninja
                          ZX 9R Ninja
                          ZX 6R Ninja
                          ZRX 1100
                          ZRX 1200
                          ZR 1100 Zephyr
                          Z 1000
                          Z 750
                          ZR 7
                          KZ 1000 Z1
                          KZ 1000 Z2
                          EX 250 Ninja
                          W 650
                          GPZ 900R
                          & Others

Comment

will look good mate, dont forget the pics when its done
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                              will look good mate, dont forget the pics when its done
                              Will do, going to be doing some other strange stuff as well

Quick question: Do you run that filler cap line straight vertical to avoid oil being pushed out?

Comment

Working...
                              X