non o-ring chain question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non o-ring chain question...

Are chain sprockets (F&R) specific to either an o-ring or non o-ring chain?? Can I replace my o-ring chain with a non o-ring one using the same sprockets??

Sorry, not a chain guy...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

why would you go away from an o-ring chain? from the little i know they are better. my guess is the sprockets are the same either way.

Comment

Sprockets are the same. Non O ring is MUCH cheaper but nowhere near as long lasting & need more looking after.

Best way is to replace both sprockets & put on a new O ring chain all at once. You should get 20,000 miles out of a set if you look after it then.

If you're looking to just throw a cheap chain on used sprockets then it should work but will wear out quickly. The new chain will kill the sprockets quicker than the old one & the old sprockets will kill the new chain at the same time.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by schlyme View Post
        why would you go away from an o-ring chain? from the little i know they are better. my guess is the sprockets are the same either way.
        Both are used, the o-ring one is a bit stretched, the other not so much...

Just lookin' to extend the time 'till a 530 conversion.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

The one that's been running with the sprockets since new will probably last longer (if that's either of them) as they will be worn together....

Other than that either will work for a while.... Might get a couple of 1000 out of them or something depending on current wear I would think.

If the O ring one is stretched you need to see how even it is. It's not the stretch that causes the problem as you can adjust it but they tend to stretch in different places causing a tight/loose/tight/loose motion that you can't adjust out!

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            If the O ring one is stretched you need to see how even it is. It's not the stretch that causes the problem as you can adjust it but they tend to stretch in different places causing a tight/loose/tight/loose motion that you can't adjust out!

Dan
            That's the issue I have now... I'm thinking the chain is the main source of the overall bike-vibration I'm trying to eliminate.

I've synced the carbs a few times in the last couple of weeks as well, still can't "shake" that vibration. I was hopefull I found the issue when I discovered some of the intake boot clamps were a bit loose, but it didn't make a difference...

I'm replacing the intake boots with new ones, as I do remember the old ones had some cracks (but didn't look fatal at the time).
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              That's the issue I have now... I'm thinking the chain is the main source of the overall bike-vibration I'm trying to eliminate.

I've synced the carbs a few times in the last couple of weeks as well, still can't "shake" that vibration. I was hopefull I found the issue when I discovered some of the intake boot clamps were a bit loose, but it didn't make a difference...

I'm replacing the intake boots with new ones, as I do remember the old ones had some cracks (but didn't look fatal at the time).
              That chain is likely toast if you're at the loose/tight/loose/tight point. If you're going to go ahead and do the 530 conversion in the very short term, I'd toss the non o-ring chain on it, and take a good, thorough look at it before every single ride. Watch the teeth on the sprockets especially, if they start to "hook", you're too close to the point of failure, in my opinion.

Comment

Yes, you can put the non-oring chain on it. It won't last long. You can also rotate the rear wheel when on the center stand and listen for any odd noises from the chain/sprockets.

Comment

Working...
                X