82 gs 550 carnk spinning problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs 550 carnk spinning problem

hey guys just got the bike and was going through doing osme preliminary checks. just worked on rebuilding the carbs put them back on then went to start it. its been sittin a long time and i took the points cover off or pick up covers and turned the bike over with that a few times to make sure it wasent siezed up and it moved freeley to i cranked on her and just a got a spinning sound coming from the stator side. i pull ff that cover and ii see that the big sprocket behind the stater magnet is just spining on the shaft it didnt do this at first but then started after i tried cranking on it so now when i crank on it the starter spins the little sprocket which in turns spins the crank sprocket which i wold assume turns over the motor, any esyd y would that sprocke tspin freely shold it be fixed on the crnak

starterclutchslippingitshudonlyturn1way

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

well if i take a socket and turn it i can turn it eather way but the sporcekt behind the the magnet just free spins i can spin it by hand it aint catching on anything

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        starterclutchslippingitshudonlyturn1way
        C'mon he at least put spaces in between!
        starter clutch is bad
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

the starter clutch? the starter will spin i took off the side cover and the starter will turn spinnin the litttle double sprocket which turns the big sprocekt on the crank. the sporkcet on the crnak just free spins not the starter

Comment

Their are three bolts holding the starter clutch to the Rotor, they are most likley broken

Comment

k ell what would cause this and does it happen often or just a freak occurance

Comment

You have to take that rotor off the end of the crank and either tighten it back down or get another starter clutch. If the whole rotor is spinning on the end of the crank a tetourque will work. If the bolts are sheared off you need to replace them.
                Go to mrcycles.com and look at a mirofiche of the starter clutch off your bike.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X