Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch basket - what does it all mean Basil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    For one thing, it's not automatically necessary to change all the clutch drive/driven plates - measuring them first could save you a bunch of money. Most common reason for clutch slipage is worn springs which are quite cheap.

Regarding the play you are experiencing, the number one problem with these GS clutches is the large nut in the center tends to come loose. Please check that first. Second, the spring cushion mechanism between the outer basket and the large gear develops slop. If you remove that large nut and remove the basket you will see what I'm referring to. You can repair this yourself by shimming the springs but some members around here till tell you to rebuild the clutch hub with a heavy duty backing plate and springs. Check this link for more details... http://www.theflyingbanana.com/clutchhub.htm I did the spring shimming on one hub and it's worked fine and was cheap. Also, buying a HD hub nut is recommended - either an 1150 nut or one from a place like APE.
    So how good is the 1150 hub nut compared to the APE. I guess it would fit my '83 1100gl and be somewhat of an upgrade from the 1100 stock nut. With the sale coming up at Blvd Suzuki I think I could probably get a stock 1150 nut for $5 or less with free shipping. Thnx Jim M
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

the 1150 nut may have been superseded.
      if so they will sell you an 1100 nut.

Comment

Thanks, yes the number for the 1150 nut has been updated. I think it is still different from the 1100 number. I'll go back and look some more. The parts search didn't show them being for the same bike but that might not pick up the new change.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

someone on this site ordered an 1150 hub nut this summer...
          they got the thin 1100 nut.
          just saying is all.
          5-6 bucks is worth a try.

Comment

People still but that stock nut from Suzuki???
            Speed Merchant
            http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
            X