Tach gear wont fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach gear wont fit

Kind of a misleading title, but my tach gear wont fit back in the head. I replaced the valve cover gasket and half moons, and did not put the tach cable back in before closing the top. Now I *swear* I have removed this and reinstalled without having to remove the valve cover. Is this possible?

I really dont want to take the valve cover off again.

What type of valve cover gasket did you use? If you used the Real Gasket then you may have some problems b/c of the added thickness of the gasket it may not all the tach gear to line up with the gears if your tach gear goes into the valve cover. Gotta go with an OEM style/thickness gasket.

I'm fortunate that my tach gear goes into the head and does not affect the alignment of my gears.
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Turn the motor

As you know, the tach gear is cam driven. Try to turn the motor over a bit by either turning the rear wheel while the motor is in gear, or by the nut under the ignition cover. By pushing the tach gear in while turning the motor over it will line up the gears so that the tach gear will slide in. Good luck.

Comment

Just use a small flat blade screwdriver to rotate the cable! Too simple? Ray.

Comment

It is the OEM type gasket.

Good advice guys. I tried for 5 minutes, then gave up. I'll just try it again tonight. I do know it's cam driven.

I just thought I'd check here first to make sure I wouldnt have to take the valve cover off first!

Comment

Sorry, I thought you were trying to get the cable back in. Why did you remove the tach gear in the first place & you need to have the valve cover off to reinstall it in the valve cover CORRECTLY. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Sorry, I thought you were trying to get the cable back in. Why did you remove the tach gear in the first place & you need to have the valve cover off to reinstall it in the valve cover CORRECTLY. Ray.
              Dang it. I pulled it out as I was replacing gasket, half moons and adjusting valves. I really wish I did not have to take the cover off, but oh well.

Comment

Working...
              X