Pipes arent hot on one side?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipes arent hot on one side?????

i recently took my 82 Suzuki gs 650 gl apart to replace my gaskets in my engine ( head gasket, block gasket and top gasket) because of an oil leak...i put my bike back together and started it and the left side of my bike ( sitting on the seat looking forward) the pipes are not getting hot.. the right side was plenty hot to the touch while the others were touchable....i do have spark in on that side of the bike when i checked...i broke my throttle cable and haven't gotten a new one and still haven't ridden it yet....the bike did run however but didn't have a lot of gas in it to keep it running..what could cause this??? Thanks

if you've gas, and if you have spark on both sides, but both pipes are cold on the left, I'd guess some kind of carb issue (stuck jet?) as an easy fix. Are the plugs wet on that side? Perhaps the pistons aren't moving? Just guessing....got to do that gasket repair myself on my 650 but haven't torn her apart yet.

Comment

agreed, also you could try turning the engine over with just the suspect cylinders hooked up to the coils and see if they fire.

Comment

sounds like it runs (prob not very well), so with the bike running, pull the plug cap from whichever cylinder is not firing, insert a working plug and ground it to the engine to test continuous spark. If it works, then as said before you probably have a clogged jet. Those are pretty easy to fix (so I hope its that and not a busted coil)

oh and don't forget to add headlight fluid

Comment

like i said i do have spark on that side where the pipes are not hot...the bike started and ran and i manually gave it throttle by pulling up the lever on the carbs and she was revving and there was pressure comming out the end of the tail pipe...the funny thing is i had my buddy pull my carbs apart and give it a cleaning..they were fine before..do you think he did something wrong..its pretty easy to do so i dont understand.......PS i just topped off my blinker fluid.......

Comment

There is a crossover on the exhaust, so pressure will come out of it regardless of whether or not its running. Besides,the piston will be moving air even when not firing, so its hard to tell somethings wrong by feeling tailpipe pressure.

If it's definitely not spark, then its fuel. Its hard to know whether or not your buddy did something right or wrong based on your description. Did he just clean out the bowls, or did he strip everything off and dip the bodies? Did he go though each jet, soaking it and cleaning it out with some wire? Were they assembled properly? Float heights are at proper spec?

Since engines only need spark and fuel to run, only lack of one or the other needs to be addressed to get it running. Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X