Hmmm...my source of noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm...my source of noise?

Almost thought I wasn't going to make it home after a short ride last night. About 15 km north of where I live and start hearing "crunching" noises as I roll into the throttle on the hiway. When I turned around and started heading home...pulling away from a dead stop with my visor open and no wind noise..I thought the bottom end of the motor was gonna explode .

Took the front sprocket cover off and found this...looking at it again, it doesn't look TOO bad...but the chain WAS very tight. Dunno what happened there. The adjusters were tight and besides even if they were loose, the chain would loosen, not tighten.
    Nows the perfect time to swap from my 630 down to a lighter chain and sprockets.

When i bought the bike, the seller told me it had new sprockets and chain. Surrrrre
    The front sprocket was reversed so now the "saw tooth" faces forward.

Rick,

Had the same thing happen to my 83' 550 2 weeks ago. This winter I put new chain and sprockets on her. After about 700mi, as you decrubed, an odd noise at stops. The chain was like a guitar string. I readjusted it, then 2 days later I had to tighten it back up and I was right back to the same marks on the adjusters as before. The only thing I can think of in my case is the swingarm had not "dropped" all the way when it looked tight.

But what about the noise I heard....................... the truth is out there.............black holes, alternate universes and all of that..........

Comment

K....Got my new parts in the mail today from Z-1. A new 114 link 530 chain by RK. A new 48 tooth rear sprocket, a new 17 tooth front sprocket, a master link, and the 6mm spacer. The sprocket combo will give me as close to the factory final ratio of 2:8 to 1 as I can get. (Something like 2:82 to 1, Converting from 630 to 530.)

Sadly, I have no time between now and til I return from vacation to install it. So I won't be able to give feedback till after july 10th

Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2010, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick65Cat View Post
        So I won't be able to give feedback till after july 10th
        What was the $damage$ @ Z1 ?

Where R U going on Vacation ?
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Umm... $217 Cdn. including shipping (US parcel post)

Headed back to Ontario for 2 1/2 weeks to visit my GF and my family.

Comment

Ok...well, between the weather and not having a garage to wrench in plus old bones ....I've been putting off replacing everything.

Finally got off my butt tonight and got to it. My biggest fear was that these sprockets wouldn't line up with each other...groundless fears. Everthing lined up as it should.

Let me tell you....what a difference!! even though theres no rubber on the new sprocket like the stock 630, its just as quiet. No more crunchy jerking as I drive along.
            Now maybe I can get down to visit Spyderman now

Heres some before and after....

Not quite finished...still have to fold the washers over, tighten and adjust chain, chainguard to install...

Comment

Working...
            X