look what I found... (not good)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look what I found... (not good)

I was replacing the chain on my 1100EX and found this broken link.

I had been experiencing a "new" vibration & I think I just found the cause...

I'm very glad to have caught this before something very bad happened.

The other bad news is the "used" replacement chain I bought from a member here (a supposedly "good" chain) is toast as well - so stretched & frozen I couldn't even get the rear wheel to spin without locking up...

Oh well, guess it's time for that 530 conversion, but in the meantine the bike is down.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
    the "used" replacement chain I bought from a member here (a supposedly "good" chain) is toast as well
    Good for what ? I believe its advised to replace chain and sprockets as new sets.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

dont mess around, with used chains. buy new. chain and sprocket set, will save you time and money in the long run, and possibly your life!
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

+1, used chains are always a false economy.

I have not seen a crack like that, I wonder if a rock or a bolt or something got caught in there and went around the sprocket? Is there any damage to any sprocket tooth?
        Very strange.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

[QUOTE=tkent02;1225124I have not seen a crack like that, I wonder if a rock or a bolt or something got caught in there and went around the sprocket? Is there any damage to any sprocket tooth?
          Very strange.[/QUOTE]

Sprockets look OK... nothing unusual seen, no bolts or protrusions in the way.

I had synced & re-synced my carbs a few times the last couple of weeks to get rid of an annoying vibration that manifested itself at the highr RPM's - perhaps this was the issue??
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I bought from a member here (a supposedly "good" chain) is toast as well
            Please tell us his name so we can avoid purchasing from this individual.

Comment

You could get a 630 master link & take that one out & rejoin it if you still have life left in the original chain....

Best way is to stump up the 100+ bucks from Z1 for a 530 setup though.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                Please tell us his name so we can avoid purchasing from this individual.
                It was an honest mistake I believe, no malice intended... no worries.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I've seen chains fail like that from battery acid damage, but there's no acid corrosion on that link.

Hmm. Weird.

However it happened, I'm glad you caught it!
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    I've seen chains fail like that from battery acid damage, but there's no acid corrosion on that link.
                    This was the chain that came with the bike when i bought it, it was a rusty mess before I cleaned it up. Perhaps your acid thought is correct, I could have cleaned away any tell-tale corrosion but the damage may have already been done?

Anyway, ordered new 530 chain & sprockets from Z1 a couple of days ago... kept all the gearing ratios the same. Looking forward to seeing if that will eliminate the vibrations I was getting.

After that, I only need to replace the leaking "new" fork seals (I've already picked up a new set of OE ones), but I want to get some Progressive springs first before I open up the forks.
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Are you in CT or VT? I'm heading up there next week but first stopping in Laconia on my way. I should make it up to VT unless something keeps me in Laconia
                      1979 GS850G
                      2004 SV650N track bike
                      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                        Are you in CT or VT? I'm heading up there next week but first stopping in Laconia on my way. I should make it up to VT unless something keeps me in Laconia
                        I live in CT, travel to VT (ST. Johnsbury / Derby) every weekend, but currently I'm in San Diego through this weekend...
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                        X