Adjusting valves for the first time - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by legaleli View Post

Compression issues can arise from the valve clearances closing AND a shorter shim might fix this...
    Yes, it might fix it, sometimes does. If it's been run hard and long with no clearance, exhaust and maybe intake valves will eventually burn. I'd guess you have much better than a 50/50 chance of having good compression after the valve adjustment.

Definitely shim them all correctly and try it again.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Yes, it might fix it, sometimes does. If it's been run hard and long with no clearance, exhaust and maybe intake valves will eventually burn. I'd guess you have much better than a 50/50 chance of having good compression after the valve adjustment.

Definitely shim them all correctly and try it again.
      Man you just made me feel a whole lot better about my future work on my engine! I'll cross my fingers that the new shims fix her up for this season. Any newbie (like me) reading this post... don't be like the guy who owned my bike before me... adjusting the valves is easy; you need some wrenches, a ziptie, and a couple of hours of spare time for God's sake!!!!
      Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I still havent got around to doing this to my bike but there is a link to this video on cliffs site that helped me fully understand what needs to be done.

Yes the video is LOOOONG but if you let it load and fast forward past the nonsense of how to disassemble the bike you can get to the real how-to part

Last edited by Sparky; 06-08-2010, 02:19 AM.
        ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by legaleli View Post
          ... adjusting the valves is easy; you need some wrenches, a ziptie, and a couple of hours of spare time for God's sake!!!!
          Actually, once you get the hang of it, you can get it down to about 45 minutes.

Then take another 10 minutes or so to sync the carbs.

Toss in some new spark plugs and you will have a NEW BIKE.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
            I still havent got around to doing this to my bike but there is a link to this video on cliffs site that helped me fully understand what needs to be done.

Yes the video is LOOOONG but if you let it load and fast forward past the nonsense of how to disassemble the bike you can get to the real how-to part

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...rch&plindex=0#
            In the video he uses a magnetic tool to fish out the shims... I understand that this is a "no no", and can understand why - you don't want to have metal shards building up on your cams... the video does show a lot though!

Comment

Working...
            X