Starter Clutch problem- 76 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Clutch problem- 76 GS750

I have an issue with my starter clutch. I have already ruined one starter and possibly another brand new one. The bike would turn over with the starter at first then the engine started. The clutch didn't disengage and messed the starter up. I bought a new starter installed it and the bike turned over several times until I heard a pop, then the starter would not turn the motor over. The starter gear would free spin on the crank. I disassembled the assembly and found two bad bearings,and a messed up copper washer that sits between the starter gear and the engine.I replaced the bearings and the washer and I also replaced the three springs inside the housing that sit behind the three rollers in there. I reassembled the assembly and tried to start the bike. Every thing turned over fine until the engine fired. The engine started then I heard a horrible noise from where the starter clutch is. Then my starter would not turn over anymore. I am pretty sure the starter is fried but I was too ticked off to take it off and check for damage. So the starter clutch didn't disengage when the motor started.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2010, 02:34 AM.

no direct experience but I seem to recall previous posts on the topic of installing or assembling the starter 'backwards' such that it actually turns the motor backwards....when motor starts and turns the starter the other direction it overpowers the starter and breaks it. HOW this can be I have no idea. Reversed wiring perhaps?

Equivilent of bump starting the bike backwards (possible!). Roll backwards in 1st gear, pop the clutch and it WILL attempt to turn over....but unless you're REALLY fast re-engaging the clutch you will eff things up when the motor fires and the shaft drive attempts to drive the rear wheel forwards.....dunno about chain bikes...
    Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2010, 12:30 AM. Reason: clairity..

Comment

HUH

Comment

I was talking to one of my coworkers and he said on some bikes the starter clutch was like a one way bearing. The starter would spin the bike in the opposite direction, this would allow the rollers inside the clutch to lock spinning the crank. Then when the bike would fire it would reverse direction and the rollers would be released and they would depress back onto a set of springs while rolling on the crank. I don't know if that is how this system works.

I will take some pics in the morning and post to see what you guys think.

Comment

So I have read through all 20 pages of search results regarding "starter clutch". I know a lot more about the system now. My coworker was right about it being a one way bearing type. I did not however run across a similar incident as mine. Most people said the solution to fixing the problem was get a new starter clutch if the taper is fine on your crank shaft, and get a new crankshaft if the taper is messed up. That is ridiculous. I don't know how much a crank is but I know it would be a huge pain in the ass. I do know that a starter clutch is between $100 and $130. That is too much for me right now, especially since I just spent $25 for the springs, bearings and washer to rebuild the clutch.

Comment

Figured it out. I had the bolt securing the starter clutch too tight. I backed it off to the proper torque spec and the clutch seemed to work properly. Still didn't see if my starter was fried though.

Comment

Working...
            X