getting hot 1985 gs550esd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting hot 1985 gs550esd

can i take out plunger in sump thats supposed to open and allow oil flow to oil cooler ? engine is getting hot but cooler isnt. i dont think it has the right spring in it . im in cornwall enland where its nice and warm . sump strainers clear as is oil filter ???????bike is a rebuild by someone else; who i cannot contact . glf when ridden hard.

Originally posted by adam mousehole View Post
    can i take out plunger in sump thats supposed to open and allow oil flow to oil cooler ? engine is getting hot but cooler isnt. i dont think it has the right spring in it . im in cornwall enland where its nice and warm . sump strainers clear as is oil filter ???????bike is a rebuild by someone else; who i cannot contact . glf when ridden hard.

The diversion of oil into the cooler should be regulated by a drop in pressure.
    I doubt it could have the an incorrect spring but the part should be subject to failure like any other

how hot is hot btw?
    Is it running bad and bluin the pipes and so on?

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
      The diversion of oil into the cooler should be regulated by a drop in pressure.
      I doubt it could have the an incorrect spring but the part should be subject to failure like any other

how hot is hot btw?
      Is it running bad and bluin the pipes and so on?
      engine is so hot it burns ur hand;oil strainer was totally clogged so i assumed that was cause of problem......no such luck . pipes are blackpainted, bike seems to run ok carbs are good, maybe diffrent plug will make it better.....

Comment

I don't know how that cooler is plumbed, but if it is not getting warm to hot it is not flowing oil, as you have presumed. A drastic measure would be to remove one of the lines on the engine and quickly start and stop the bike. If oil flows (into your strategically placed bucket) then the cooler is most likely stopped up. Here in the states we have a product called Kooler Kleen by LUBE GARD. It flushes and cleans fluid coolers, such as transmission fluid coolers and oil coolers.
        It has French and Spanish text on the label, so it may be available in the British Isles as well.

Comment

engine is so hot it burns ur hand;oil strainer was totally clogged so i assumed that was cause of problem......no such luck . pipes are blackpainted, bike seems to run ok carbs are good, maybe diffrent plug will make it better.....

in order to allay any concern you have over the oil pressure you should get a mechanic or a nice friend to do the oil pressure check procedure.
          the strainer may have only got the largeest particles of whatever it was that contaminated the oil

I would not run this engine until I had it tested
          the procedure is in the manual on Basscliff's website

I assumme you changed the oil and filter

the holes that the cooler fits into appear to be simply blocked by two bolts
          mind you checking the cooler for blockage would not be to hard i have one that i have never installed and it flows air quire easily
          I mean if you blow air in it comes out a a decent reat on the other end

this bike and any I have driven will burn you
          the heat is so great off the engine in traffic in summer that you have to flare your legs out to avoid pain
          Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2010, 10:28 PM.

Comment

in order to allay any concern you have over the oil pressure you should get a mechanic or a nice friend to do the oil pressure check procedure.
            the strainer may have only got the largeest particles of whatever it was that contaminated the oil

I would not run this engine until I had it tested
            the procedure is in the manual on Basscliff's website

I assumme you changed the oil and filter

the holes that the cooler fits into appear to be simply blocked by two bolts
            mind you checking the cooler for blockage would not be to hard i have one that i have never installed and it flows air quire easily
            I mean if you blow air in it comes out a a decent reat on the other end

this bike and any I have driven will burn you
            the heat is so great off the engine in traffic in summer that you have to flare your legs out to avoid pain
            thanks for ur help guys i will get a pressure check done asap . im also goin to take sump off again and check strainer, when i do this ill blow thru cooler to ensure its clear, am a bit skint at the mo so wanna not get to many garage bills tho the mechanic at west kernow mcs is a wizard. happy riding to all. will be back drekly cheers adam

Comment

thanks for ur help guys i will get a pressure check done asap . im also goin to take sump off again and check strainer, when i do this ill blow thru cooler to ensure its clear, am a bit skint at the mo so wanna not get to many garage bills tho the mechanic at west kernow mcs is a wizard. happy riding to all. will be back drekly cheers adam

jaysus mon skint

all ethnic and all
              its like coroation street

I fully understand the money ssue
              cos im a scot whelp and ken nah ndertand the wasting of a dollar

Comment

jaysus mon skint

all ethnic and all
                its like coroation street

I fully understand the money ssue
                cos im a scot whelp and ken nah ndertand the wasting of a dollar
                what happened was the original rebuilder had used bolts to hold the windings to the inside of the alternator case instead of screws ,these bolts were slightly touching the shaft and had worked loose , the windings had become slack and rubbed against the edge of the stator breaking a load of the resin off the edge of the magnets...this is what i found in the oil strainer along with a lot of black gooey stuff, i did an oil and filter change, but some mighta got into cooler by way of the oil bypass. im gonna do the strainer again and will blow thru cooler at same time... fingers crossed ... i would really like to go to scottyland as i rekon its similer to west cornwall where i am, bit colder but just as breathtaking, i;m just six miles from lands end so would be a awesome testride.... one day maybe just need to win lottery lol...... all da best adam.

Comment

what happened was the original rebuilder had used bolts to hold the windings to the inside of the alternator case instead of screws ,these bolts were slightly touching the shaft and had worked loose , the windings had become slack and rubbed against the edge of the stator breaking a load of the resin off the edge of the magnets...this is what i found in the oil strainer along with a lot of black gooey stuff, i did an oil and filter change, but some mighta got into cooler by way of the oil bypass. im gonna do the strainer again and will blow thru cooler at same time... fingers crossed ... i would really like to go to scottyland as i rekon its similer to west cornwall where i am, bit colder but just as breathtaking, i;m just six miles from lands end so would be a awesome testride.... one day maybe just need to win lottery lol...... all da best adam.

Does the Duke ever make it by your place?

I doubt resin would break up too much it is pretty hard stuff
                  unlike a paper filter

Comment

Working...
                  X