Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad is it to use the old chain on new sprockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad is it to use the old chain on new sprockets?

I guessed wrong on the size of the chain I would need ( I guessed 110 and the axel needs to move back maybe 3/4 of an inch), so I had to return it and a 126 link is going to be a week or 2 to come in.

I put the old chain back on (which I thought was the stock length of 110 links, shoulda counted) because I have to ride it to work, it's only about 10 miles a day, am I ok for a couple weeks or should I get out my bicycle?

chains are relatively cheap if you must get a nobn o ring of the correct size and use it

if the current chain is past its wear linits it will have a negative impact ont he new sprockets

if its not worn out completely 10 miles a day wont do much damage i suppose

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
      chains are relatively cheap if you must get a nobn o ring of the correct size and use it

if the current chain is past its wear linits it will have a negative impact ont he new sprockets

To clarify I have no choice but to wait for the chain, only 530 size in town is the 110 link.

I can either run the old chain on the new sprockets (no idea if it is past it's wear limit, is there a way to check?) or ride my bicycle to work.

Will I do any damage by riding the bike for 50-80 miles?

Comment

I would think it depends on how worn the old chain it. If it's significantly stretched, it would accelerate wear on new sprockets. For just 50-80 miles, I'd do it. Take it easy on the throttle, just in case.

Disclaimer: Just thinking through what a roller chain would do as an engineer. I've never had to maintain a chain, as I ride shafties.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I figured it should be ok, I really don't want to ride my bike, I am really lazy...

if anyone wants a spare non-oring chain they are under $10 at JC Whitney right now...

I know it isn't the right thing to do, but I can only afford to insure the bike OR the car right now, wife gets the good car with the baby seat...

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
            To clarify I have no choice but to wait for the chain, only 530 size in town is the 110 link.

I can either run the old chain on the new sprockets (no idea if it is past it's wear limit, is there a way to check?) or ride my bicycle to work.

Will I do any damage by riding the bike for 50-80 miles?

well one way is to see how far it pulls off the back sprocket if you pinch it and pull it

the rollers are supposed to fit nice and snug in the sprocket and the greater the wear the more you can pull and find free play

another way is with the chain off cheching how much side flex ther is a new chain will barely flex sideways at all

there shhoulld also be a measuer pin to pin that can be done as in cam chains to test the wear limit but be damned if i can find any info on a websearch

Comment

ok, I think its pretty worn then, it does pull of the sprocket a bit, I will take it super easy and try to get a ride into work at least a few times, maybe even GASP ride my bicycle...

thanks!

Comment

If you run a used chain on new sprockets or vice versa pretty much count on cutting it's life in half. If you continue to run a used chain on any sprockets, you can expect to cut YOUR life expectancy in half as well. If that chain comes apart and either wraps your wheel or your counter sprocket and jams on the cases it will put you down RIGHT NOW. My stepdads best friend lost his life when his chain came apart at about 35mph. Locked he rear wheel and h went over the bars. Wearing ATGATT it still broke his neck. Doesn't always happen. Sometimes it rolls off the back sprocket and you go coasting down the road. But why risk it? I ran my little Kaw 440 around being stupid with a bunk chain. Sprockets got hooked and twisted teeth so bad the chain bound on them hard enough to make the bike feel like it was pulling to one side in the rear. When I finally got smart enough to replace it the chain came apart in my hand. That was a real eye opener.

Comment

As I said I will try to minimize it as much as possible, but I have to get to work and my options are limited...

at least I am changing the chain BEFORE it breaks right?

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post

at least I am changing the chain BEFORE it breaks right?
                    Hopefully...

If Josh's experience says you'll cause significant wear even in such a short period, then maybe you should throw the old sprockets back on too (especially at the engine). Or start pedaling. If money's that tight, maybe you can't afford to wear the sprockets out early.
                    Last edited by Dogma; 06-08-2010, 02:39 PM.
                    Dogma
                    --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

ecccch, bicycle it is...

I don't want to waste another 3 hours swapping the old crap back on...

Comment

Hopefully that will get you a sympathy side after the first day.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                        X