Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Sprocket Teeth!

Hi all,

I had just finished a ~5Hr ride threw the mountains and when I got home I noticed that my rear sprocket was missing 4 or 5 teeth. I had just changed chain lubricant but had lubricated the chain twice during the trip. I’m going to take the bike to the shop anyways but what could have caused this?
    Just an old sprocket or could it be an adjustment issue?
    Should I be replacing both sprockets and the chain?
    Any ideas on the cost of these parts in Canada?

1982 GS 400 T

Thanks a million!

post pics of this

and yes if you are changing sprockets change the chain

I suppose binding links could keep rolling on the sprocket to a point where either the binding or the tooth would have to give
    misalignment would alo place loads on the teeth
    there are quite a few BC guys on here that can give you a good idea of local sources and prices

but its gona be around 120-200 bucks maybe more
    but consider yourself lucky major damage toe the engine cases or even a fatal accident could have ensued form a broken or jammed up chain

Comment

Hi Calvin

The misalignment idea sounds about right. The chain is not running smoothly over the sprocket and it kind of bunching and then sitting down properly into the sprocket. Is it safe to ride it a short distance.

I dont know how to post the pic's here but I have added them to my album if that help..

Thanks again!
      Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM. Reason: picture

Comment

You've dodged a bullet so don't push your luck. Don't ride until you change the chain and sprockets.

The local Suzuki stealership should be able to get you the parts but you might also look at Bikebandit and or Z1 Enterprises. If you have a good independent bike garage, they will likely be able to get something through Parts Canada or whatever other supplier they use.

Once you get the new gears and chain be accurate setting the alignments. You will need a couple of good straight edges to help your alignment. Once you have everything on and "eyeballed" in to position use the straight edges to fine tune. You will need a helper to do this.

With a bike on a good flat surface and held upright by the assistant put one straight edge right up against the back tire on either side. If everything is lined up correctly, sighting over the back sprocket the chain should look straight to the front sprocket and the distance from either straight edge to the sides of the front tires should be identical. If not put the bike on the centerstand and loosen off the chain adjusters and axle then check again.

I find one of the laser pointers to be a handy device for checking the straightness of the chain.

When setting the chain, don't forget to allow for some up/down movement as per your manual.

Chains and sprockets, like brakes, need to work correctly for you to be safe. A chain that breaks can wrap around your rear wheel and swingarm and lock it up, whip up and get your leg or tear in to the engine case. Dangerous stuff.

Good luck sorting it out. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Joey,

I don't know much about chains but I've got a "mega-welcome" for you.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wow Thanks Spyug!

I think I will try to do it myself at home. I have found a sprocket threw my shop with 42 teeth. The curent sprocket has 43. Can I get away with useing this sprocket? I expect a little less Torqe and maybe a slightlt higher top end speed but as long as I move the axel back to take up the slack I should be OK right?

I know I should replace both sprockets and the chain but as fare as that sprocket gose is that smaller sprocket going ot be ok???

Thanks every one for the help!

Joey

Comment

New sprocket and chain on, everything looks and runs well!

Comment

Originally posted by Joey View Post
                New sprocket and chain on, everything looks and runs well!

yay man
                like one fo the guys said
                you dodged a bullet

Comment

You definitely dodged a bullet. And to all the other new riders who think just learning to ride their new bike is enough..........it's not. You need to learn how to adjust things & what to check EVERY time you get on your bike. It's worth those 5 pre-ride minutes to check all controls, lights, chain, tires etc.

It's your a** out there, protect it.

Paul
                  80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Working...
                  X