Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam cover procedure

Hi out there
    I have a leaking cam cover gasket ;ordered and recieved new gasket.Can anyone clue me in on how the four round chrome covers come off? I assume a screw of some kind keeps it in place.I can't seem to locate the screws,can't tell if it is a flat or phillips that I am looking for.Any help on the technique to remove covers will be appreciated!!
    Also the speedo drive; is it customary to replace the seal? Is it neccessary?
    Thanks

Hi,

There are a couple of little screws underneath the cam end covers. You must look under the caps (from the bottom up) to see the screw heads pointing down (#7).

A lot of guys don't bother taking off the caps when removing the cam cover, if there's room.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I looked up under there ,but could not see screws;must be covered with gunk.thanks for reply I will try to find again

Comment

If you remove the tank from the bike, then remove the breather cover on top of the valve cover, you can generally just lift the valve cover up, and carefully bring it out one side without removing the cam covers. Some tilting of the valve cover may be required.

Once the valve cover is off and out, you'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is torquing a bolt to spec, and 10 is a complete engine rebuild, I would rate this at a solid 1.5 . As long as you can remember to remove all of the bolts before trying to remove the valve cover, you will do just fine.

Inspect the o-ring around the speedo hookup once everything it apart. If there are any nicks in it, replace it. Otherwise, when reinstalling speedo cable, lube the o-ring up with some oil, and put it back in. Remember to tighten the retainer for it down snug, don't ask me how I didn't!

I am confident this will be no problem for you, and if you have any more ?'s, feel free to ask.

BTW, we like pictures of motorcycles around here. (hint hint)

*edit* - the screws are Japanese "phillips-esque" headed, you may need to use an impact driver to get them out.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2010, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.A friend of mine helped me and I assumed the covers had to come off.We have the cover off now and am waiting for seal to arrive for tach drive-I may have a leak there too

Comment

Working...
          X