Constantly Adjusting Clutch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constantly Adjusting Clutch!

Hello good people!! i am new and have had my 1978 GS750 for about a week now it is my second bike with about 9k Miles... i had to adjust the clutch in the adjustment area with the flathead driver about twice to understand that little area...i had this experience were the lever gets really weak i adjust the cable out a bit and then my clutch is back... then after a bit more riding i have to adjust it out again and then finally the clutch lever just (snaps) and becomes weightless without any resistance and i am stuck without a clutch lever! the cable is good btw... this happend to me at a red light...so i went in the adjustment area again and this time i adjusted it good and i bought a new nut and tightened that nut really tight so the adjustment shouldn't go anywhere... Much better riding all day today but guess what? just as im getting home the clutch lever gets SOFT/WEAK... so i adjusted it out again slightly and rode home but i am afraid it will do the same thing again real soon.. any ideas? btw does anyone know where to get the "ring washer stopper" that keeps the first steel plate secure or do you think i can get away with just adding another steel plate (im getting a little slippage here and there ocasionally on bumps..)? THANK YOU FOR READING!!!
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

actually i dont even know how old my cable i but its not fraying or anything it looks pretty solid...

Comment

Before you go out for another ride that is farther away from home than you want to push the bike, get a new clutch cable.

It sounds like it is breaking, strand by strand, and will leave you ... well, stranded.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Before you go out for another ride that is farther away from home than you want to push the bike, get a new clutch cable.

It sounds like it is breaking, strand by strand, and will leave you ... well, stranded.

thanks for replying! i kinda figured the cable was bad.. do you know any modern year bikes that have the same length clutch cable that i could get because i doubt the dealers will have mine on hand... and also do you think an extra steel plate will get rid of the slippage or do you think the ring washer stopper will be necessary?

Comment

You can find the clutch cable you need at dennis kirk, bike bandit, or even the dealer. Just call and give them your info and they should be able to tell ya.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2010, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. GabrielGoes,

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
              ... do you know any modern year bikes that have the same length clutch cable that i could get because i doubt the dealers will have mine on hand... ?
              What makes you think they will have any modern parts on hand?

Unless it's something rather universal, like oil, filters, spark plugs, and a few other things, they have to order a LOT of parts, even for current bikes.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That sounds more like a problem with that spiral pushrod pusher thing under the little cover on the sprocket cover.
                Have you taken that apart to grok how it works yet?
                They have a few different ways of getting messed up.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thank you all for replying! i found out the screws that actually hold my clutch box together were getting loose and the entire box was moving whenever i held he clutch lever in.... i had to put the screws back in real tight and then my clutch was gone so after adjusting it my clutch came back!!! everytime the lever started to get really weak the screws that held the cover in place were becomming loose!-fixed the problem by making the real tight... i still get a lot of slippage though im thinking about getting an extra steel plate... what do you guys think about the whole extra steel plate thing? i dont know if the bike was made to run an extra steel plate imo

Comment

An inspection of your clutch plates is more in order... Also, what kind of oil are you using? There are lots of threads on friction reducing oils that should not be used. A clutch comes apart real easy. Measure your fiber disc's or just replace them and check the springs for wear. A shop manual is invaluable when you are learning...
                    Curt
                    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
                      An inspection of your clutch plates is more in order... Also, what kind of oil are you using? There are lots of threads on friction reducing oils that should not be used. A clutch comes apart real easy. Measure your fiber disc's or just replace them and check the springs for wear. A shop manual is invaluable when you are learning...
                      Curt
                      Agreed. A caliper is a great tool. Use it from vavle changes to clutch inspection to ammunition reloading.

Comment

Working...
                      X