Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain tension

'80 550E

I was looking through the service manual and not finding much... Can anyone tell me what the drive chain tension should be? I don't have the special tool to check the tension either, so in layman's terms would be nice

Thanks

about an inch up and down play, on the lower chain run with you sat on the bike, off the stands
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

Oh, also is it normal to hear a little bit of noise around the output shaft of the transmission? Like when the bike is off and I am just walking it, I can hear a light clacking kinda sound coming from the chain from inside the engine cover... Know what I mean? Not sure if this is normal as I haven't heard it on other bikes (granted they newer bikes...) Does it mean my chain needs to be lubed up or maybe I have the chain set to tight?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
          Oh, also is it normal to hear a little bit of noise around the output shaft of the transmission? Like when the bike is off and I am just walking it, I can hear a light clacking kinda sound coming from the chain from inside the engine cover... Know what I mean? Not sure if this is normal as I haven't heard it on other bikes (granted they newer bikes...) Does it mean my chain needs to be lubed up or maybe I have the chain set to tight?
          you will hear that noise if the chain is too tight/too loose/ too dry or the chain and sprockets are shot. it should sound fairly silent
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Ok, the chain doesn't look dry and when I touch it I get grease all over my fingers. I am betting it is too tight then.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
              Ok, the chain doesn't look dry and when I touch it I get grease all over my fingers. I am betting it is too tight then.
              you need to sit on the bike and get someone else to check the tension, 1 inch. or get someone the same weight as you to sit on it and check it your self. a chain that is too tight causes all sorts of damage and wear
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Well, I've only put like 5 or 6 miles on it like this, so I doubt any damage has been done.. I had a feeling it was too tight and I'm going to adjust it before I ride it again.

** Ok, so the chain was just too tight. I loosened it up and that noise went away. Thanks Agemax!
                I'm thinking about using a mild degreaser on the chain and then using some fresh chain lube on it too... Looks like there is a lot of old crap on it.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2010, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X