Still can't shift the Kat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still can't shift the Kat.

With numerous things going on, I hadn't touched the Kat in getting on 2 months. When I left off, I couldn't shift out of first when moving. I took off the side cover and put the linkage back on. Testing on the lift and it did seem to be able to shift up and down.

Today I took it out again but with the cover off it seemed that the shift shaft was flexing as I tried to pull out of first. It still wouldn't come out of gear.

I put the side cover back on and with it on the lift I could easily move up and down the gears. Back on the street, I'm stuck in first. It would not move out of first. I gave up again.

I just don't understand what the issue is. On the lift, by hand it seems to move easily. Once I try and move the shifter with my foot its no go. Bizarre.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers,
    spyug

Does the clutch disengage the gears at all?

Comment

The clutch doesn't really have anything to do with it.
      Shifting should work just fine with or without the clutch.
      Linkage hitting something?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        The clutch doesn't really have anything to do with it.
        Shifting should work just fine with or without the clutch.
        Linkage hitting something?
        I understand the linkage. I just came back to the post. I mixed up what he was having problems with.

Can you feel all of the linkage with your foot working? IE any metal on metal movement or is soft and smooth like its not touching anything?

Comment

The linkage works fine and is not binding or jammed anywhere. As I mentioned, I can shift it smoothly by hand when its on the lift. with my foot it doesn't budge.

From trying it with the cover off I can see the shift shaft seems to bend somewhat when I try to depress or lift the lever with my toe. It seems like the cover keeps the shaft correctly aligned but even with it back on the thing will not shift by foot.

The more I play with this, the more I'm convinced something is amiss inside the tranny. I'm wondering if there is too much play in the shift drum or something along that line causing it to bind when pressure is applied. Not having any knowledge of trannys, I'm flying blind here.

I appreciate all thoughts folks.

cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            The linkage works fine and is not binding or jammed anywhere. As I mentioned, I can shift it smoothly by hand when its on the lift. with my foot it doesn't budge.

From trying it with the cover off I can see the shift shaft seems to bend somewhat when I try to depress or lift the lever with my toe. It seems like the cover keeps the shaft correctly aligned but even with it back on the thing will not shift by foot.

The more I play with this, the more I'm convinced something is amiss inside the tranny. I'm wondering if there is too much play in the shift drum or something along that line causing it to bind when pressure is applied. Not having any knowledge of trannys, I'm flying blind here.

I appreciate all thoughts folks.

cheers,
            Spyug
            Dont know about your tranny but I can say my GS1100ED shifter shaft moves all over when the cover is off. It makes it hard to get into gear when working with the cover off.

Comment

If someone split the casers maybe they didn't get the shifter forks in their grooves.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Behind the clutch basket you can access the shift drum and the fiddly little ratchet mechanism shown in the parts diagram above. You can also pull the shift shaft though the engine from that side so you can check it for straightness. Worth a try...last resort.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My 82 Kat Thou would shift up, but not go back down. Period. So I pulled the clutch cover and clutch, to find the "crows foot" on the shift shaft to be misaligned with the shifter pawl by one tooth. Also noticed the centering spring was off the little boss. Reset them into position with the trans in neutral, reassemled, and off we went. End of problem.

Might have a look at that....

Comment

If you drop the oil pan you can see up into the transmission...

Might give you a clue as to what is happening...
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                    X