gs1100e clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100e clutch

82, what are your suggestions? mines getting almost out of adjustment. thanks for any and all input

Does it slip? If not then readjust it, there is adjustment by the lever and also adjustment on the motor by the clutch cover.

Comment

im aware of the adjustments, shes adjusted up correctly and its a bit to far out for me. plus its one of those piece of mind items. i ride the bike a lot and when i do i go far so i figure to solve the issue before it arrises

Comment

Change the cable.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks for the input but not the question at hand. the bike has 25000 on it and i feel its time thanks.

Comment

If you are looking for peace of mind, buy new fiber disc's, inspect steels,get new springs and a new cable. All fresh means no worries. Or take shorter trips so if it breaks, you are close to home.
            Curt
            sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Mine is from FBG (Fast by Gast)

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

What is the question at hand?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

from my experience gast plates are to aggressive and you have to run near zero or negative free play even with factory springs.
                  i would buy 9 suzuki OEM fibers and maybe even 8 OEM steels because the steels are cheap...a new gasket and a set of factory springs.
                  i'm not a "within spec" kinda guy when it comes to large GS bike clutches.
                  i have a large box of "within spec" OEM 1100/1150 fibers that wont hold...why?
                  because they are charred/hard/petrified what ever you call it.
                  i can't seem to throw them away.
                  gast was running ad's years ago wanting to buy worn out 1100/1150 OEM fibers so he could have his material adhered to them for resale purposes.
                  slider bikes love the gast fibers...anything else ive tried them in wasn't happy.
                  a couple hundred bucks and your clutch is new and you have the piece of mind knowing this.
                  watch some of the guys on this site..
                  they won't let you spend more than 5 bucks for any repairs...hahahaha

Comment

I rcommend EBC fibers. They're mounted on an alluminum alloy core that won't damage the basket. www.z1enterprises.com sells them

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      from my experience gast plates are to aggressive
                      I wondered about that. They were kinda stiff (sticky) at first but seem to have settled in nicely. I did soak them in 10w40 overnight.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

so any favorite brands? who has the best price?

Comment

In order of MY preference are as follows: OLD NOS Suzki plates, Gast plates, NEW Suzuki plates, & then EBC plates. My preferences are coming to you from a drag racer's experience & the Gast plates may not be the best choice for a street bike. I have never run them in a street motor so can't say. Stay AWAY from the "thin" Barnett "extra" plate kits as they will destroy a clutch basket in NO time!!! Ray.

Comment

I tried a set of FBGs in the street bike and it never seemed right.
                            The adjustment changed as they got hot...and they never seemed as smooth as the stock stuff.
                            I soaked mine in oil, also.
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              The adjustment changed as they got hot...
                              Exactly what mine do. I just make the adjustment at the lever.

Cold starts can be an eye opener too. Some times it launches... even in N.
                              Last edited by bonanzadave; 06-19-2010, 09:39 AM.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Working...
                              X