Chain change time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain change time

Looking to replace the chain and need to source out a breaker/rivetter.

Any suggestions and sources for a qualtiy setup?

I've found a 4'' grinder to be successful . Use a split link with your new chain .

Cheers , Simon .
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I believe there is a youtube video floating around where a guy shows how to use a $15 chainbreaker from harbor freight tools as both a breaker and a riveter.

Comment

I've got a Motion Pro kit that seems to work well. (Local CrackList find...)

Whatever you do, DON'T abuse a chain tool by using it to press out the chain rivets. There's simply no point at all in risking the pin. Fastest is to cut the chain with a metal cutting wheel in a Dremel or angle grinder. Or, grind off the head of the rivet BEFORE you attack it with the chain tool.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I agree, removing it should use the shotgun method. Destroy the old one, whatever way you choose. Only the installation requires the surgeon's blade. I personally prefer the standard master link, but I have honed my install skills for several decades. The lazy person may prefer the rivet method.

Comment

Working...
          X