Chainring size questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chainring size questions

I notice on more modern bikes that the chainring on the wheel is usually smaller in diameter. I'm wondering what gearing combo should give me close to the same RPM range I have now. Any pros or cons to going with a larger gear in the front and decreasing the one in the rear?

None unless you have chain to swingarm clearance issues (usually where the chain passes over the swingarm pivot) or front sprocket to case clearance issues after you've fitted them...

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Today's chains are stronger than they were 30 years ago. Most of the time it is done for tire clearance on a GS or just to save some weight

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
        I notice on more modern bikes that the chainring on the wheel is usually smaller in diameter. I'm wondering what gearing combo should give me close to the same RPM range I have now. Any pros or cons to going with a larger gear in the front and decreasing the one in the rear?
        A larger gear in the front will reduce your drive ratio about three times faster than a smaller gear in the rear. (Adding one tooth up front is about the same as dropping three teeth in the rear.) Doing that will reduce your engine speed for any given road speed, but it may also pull your engine down out of its powerband, requiring you to downshift more if you are in need of a power burst for passing.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X