Tiny mystery parts? Help identify!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiny mystery parts? Help identify!

So when I carefully dissembled my 1981 GS1100 engine I ended up with two little mystery parts that I cannot find where they go. I have been through the manual three times forward and back and cannot find a reference or pic of them. They showed up when I split the cases so I am assuming the came from the bottom half of the engine somewhere.
    So I looking for the engine gurus to give me a little help.

Here are the pics

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Whoops, sorry, no it's not
    The dealy with the spring is part of the shifter pawl mechanism.

The dealy with the spring is the contact for the gear position indicator. #42 & 41 in the diagram in the next post.

The other whatsit is an oil jet (Suzuki calls it a "nozzle") and its o-ring -- reference #16 and #17 here.
    Last edited by bwringer; 06-17-2010, 09:35 AM. Reason: Dang, missed one.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'll second the shifter pawl for sure. They look the same from my RM125 and GS550ES. Your brass piece.. no clue here.

Part 8 and 9. Middle left side.

Comment

i dont know whaat they are but the rule is you have to eat any left over parts or tear down and put em in their proper place

may only be a rule for computer hardware though

Comment

I don't think that's the shifter drum spring, I think it's from the neutral switch - #41 and #42. I haven't ever seen the other part so can't comment.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Danjal is WRONG! Ness is right! The brass part is an oil jet from the cases as stated above. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Danjal is WRONG! Ness is right! The brass part is an oil jet from the cases as stated above. Ray.
              We'll see when he gets it apart now wont we?? :P

Comment

The one with the spring is not from the shifter drum I have those in place.

Some else mentioned it goes to the shift light indicator. ( I need to check)

Ray where would said oil jet be located?? I cant find it in the manual.

Calvin I was going to just eat them but I thought they might be important so I just made a PB and J instead

Comment

Right on the money Ness shift indicator! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
                    ... so I just made a PB and J instead
                    I understand the "PB", as in "PB Blaster" penetrating oil, but what's the "J"?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

why did the oil jet fall out

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        why did the oil jet fall out
                        Not sure must have droped out when I split the cases and I didnt see it fall.

Luckily when I break a engine down I set it on a clean surface or towel to catch any tiny bits that magically fall off without me seeing them.

Now that I have those two tiny bits sorted I can confidently start bolting it back together this weekend after paint.

Thanks all the replies and help.

Comment

pbj=peanut butter and jelly

Comment

Working...
                          X