Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo oil pressure

Gentlemen,
    In researching an appropriate turbo for my stock 1978 GS 1000, the service manual says the "high volume low pressure oil pump is within service limits if the oil pressure exceeds 1.42-7 PSI at 3000 RPM's".
    This factor isn't discribed often when turbochargers are discussed and some beleive a possible solution would be ball bearing type turbo.
    Any ideas?

I ran 750 oil pump gears with my GS11 street turbo in addition to a Mr. Turbo electric oil pump dedicated to just the turbo (E40/F40 hybrid), with a aftermarket deep sump and an Earls cooler with a Lockhart thermostat. Clean, cool oil is a must to make a turbo live no matter what type of center bearing it has.

Comment

I agree with Jack. The BEST thing you can do to make a turbo LIVE is give it it's OWN 2-3 quart oil supply, with a Weldon electric pump supplying oil to it that NEVER has engine oil & CLUTCH crap going through the turbo! Ray.

Comment

Not dissing any ones comments but you can find a boat load of info for forced induction on old GS bikes over at

Comment

the turbo oiling is just a common sense thing.
          as far as who a person gets information from...
          there's a lot of people who read stuff that has never turned the first wrench on a turbo equipped motorcycle, those are the ones that give dangerous information and advice..they should be avoided.
          same goes for anyone who takes bits and pieces of things they have read or been told and they pass there misinformation along likes its Gospel.
          danger danger will robinson

Comment

Working...
          X