How hot is too hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hot is too hot?

Finally got my gs running but the engine seems like its running really hot. The pipes aren't really blueing but I went for a 30 minute ride today mostly going 50-55 except the last half mile when I was in my sub and when I shut the engine off it was really hot, couldn't touch it for more than half a second or so. I was wondering if this is normal or if the engine should be cool. The weather here is pretty warm low to mid 90's

Not unusual for your engine to radiate a lot of heat when you shut it down in 90 deg weather. As long as air is moving over the fins, it keeps it cool enough to prevent damage. I've ridden through 110 deg desert heat and my bike was fine until I got caught in road destruction on the freeway and had to creep in 1st gear for too many miles. Even then, it stressed the head gasket, but nothing major happened until 3 months later after I was home and the head gasket blew.

Comment

Hi,

It sounds normal to me. These air-cooled engines are built to run pretty warm.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys, and a late thanks for all the info stored on the basscliff website and all the other help you guys put into these forums. I've been around here for a while and usually don't have to ask too much because I often find the info somehwere in these forums.

Comment

Working...
        X