Another shim question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another shim question

The other day i checked all my valve clearances and changed around the shims. But after I calculated it and pub in the proper sized shim the clearance only got tighter. Is it possible that there is excessive oil between the shim and valve that reduces the clearance. Will this oil burn up when I run the engine or get forced out by the cam? Or do I have to buy smaller shims all together. Thanks

Andre

u dont want tight...

Comment

You need to rotate the engine a few times allowing the shim and bucket to open the valve, then take a measurement.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Yes, you have to rotate the engine a few times to make sure everythng is seated correctly, then measure your clearances again.

Unless you are really good (or really lucky), it's also possible that you might have mis-calculated what you need.
        I invite you to follow the suggestion at the end of my signature.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Okay great. Thanks guys. I'll give it a try when I get home. I just have to reconnect throttle and try and fire her up

Comment

No, don't fire it up if you plan on checking valve clearances in the same day.

Just leave the spark plugs out of the engine, use the starter button to crank if over for about five seconds. That is plenty of action to assure proper seating of the shims.

Read your manual: Before checking valve clearances, assure that the engine has not been run in the last eight hours.
            Not even just to move the bike from one side of the garage to the other.
            Not even "just to see if it still runs". NOT AT ALL within eight hours.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If I was you I would make sure the valve clearance is correct before firing the ol girl up.

Comment

I would turn it by hand.. Make sure to did the math correct !! and went with a smaller shim not larger
                Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Haha yeah I forgot I read that in the manual. I cranked it with the started and rechecked and everything was to spec. Thanks everyone. The Only problem is that she still bogs down when I go past 1/4 throttle. And she hangs at 3k rpm

Comment

Originally posted by PoppaDre View Post
                    The Only problem is that she still A) bogs down when I go past 1/4 throttle. And she B) hangs at 3k rpm
                    Hi,

These are symptoms of A) dirty carbs and B) air intake leaks. Have you addressed both of these issues?

Carb Cleanup Series

Air Intake Repair

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

These are symptoms of A) dirty carbs and B) air intake leaks. Have you addressed both of these issues?

Carb Cleanup Series

Air Intake Repair

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      I did notice that there is a bit of yellowing/browning where the intake boot meets the block. I attempted to take off the intake boots last time i had my carbs off but ended up stripping 2 of the bolts and giving up. Out of curiosity how much is it to replace the boots? I think i have done everything else but to the bike and its been tough on a student budget i am debating just selling the old girl.

Comment

This is where the intake is browning. sorry for the bad picture, its with my phone

Comment

could just be the o-ring for the intake boot. Check out cycleorings.com. it's worth spending the extra money on new boots too (mine cost $32).

Comment

Working...
                          X