Leaking Hypoid oil... from the seam between tire and final drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Hypoid oil... from the seam between tire and final drive

I recently changed my final drive oil (The 90 turn at the rear of the bike. It's what would be a differential if I had 2 wheels.)

Then, I noticed that I was accumulating oil on my recently cleaned wheels >.<
    I checked the fill and drain bolts, both of which were tight and sealed. Is it the breather box in the final drive that may be leaking? Where do I start? I assume by dropping the rear swing arm and disassembling the swing arm. What am I looking for at that point?

I also developed what sounded like a microphone set to reverb. It only happens when I'm already running at 3-4K rpm (need a tach cable, just got my new gauge set) and I push it harder. It does accelerate, but the sound is quite frightening.
    I opened the final drive and put my pinky into the fill hole. I couldn't feel any fluid. I added a few ounces until I could feel it inside and some came out the fill hole. I'll test drive it and see if it's fixed the noise.
    I've currently got a car with a blown head gasket, a newly acquired car that needs a MAF sensor and motor/transmission mounts.
    I re-he-heaaally don't want a broken down motorcycle to boot.

Hi,

Have you replaced the crush washers on the drain hole and fill hole bolts? Don't overfill or it will leak too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

There is a seal & O ring shouldn't be too hard to replace $30 for parts. Make sure it is the seal and not an over greased wheel adapter spline

Comment

Thanks for both replies.

Is the idea simply to fill to a level equal to the fill-hole?

I can double check the washers, but the leak is definitely from between the wheel and the final drive unit (Am I calling it the right part? :/ )
        I thought it might have been my over-greasing of the drive splines in the wheel gear, but I waited for the dripping grease and checked it - it's definitely the 90w gear oil, not the bearing grease (I figure bearing grease is like... 300wt).

I remember the manual mentioning a breather box in the hypoid/final drive unit. Could that be the culprit?

Any idea if an under-lubed final drive will make a shuddering noise/harsh vibe under heavy load? My gut instincts say yes. I'll test drive it.... probably friday.

Comment

From Cliff's site.

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

AHHHH! Sounds like I may have been actually squirting oil into the breather system....
            I had to drop my exhaust and my fill hole is parallel to the floor. I was squeezing the bottle and squirting the oil in the hole. Maybe I filled up the breather system. I'll have to deal with that when I get back.

Thanks a bunch

Comment

Working...
            X