Clear All

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
    Maybe its as good as it can get.
    Um no, it's not.

Leaky airbox?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Another vote to shim the needles. I do it on all my GS's. Runs mucho better.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think mines lean

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Another vote to shim the needles. I do it on all my GS's. Runs mucho better.
        This solves a rich or lean condition. Another thread on here has me mixed up.
        [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
        Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

This solves a rich or lean condition. Another thread on here has me mixed up.
          It richens the needle circuit.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Seems like 4-3/4 turns out is too much, but I'm no expert. Typical settings are around 2-1/2 to 3-ish, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
              Seems like 4-3/4 turns out is too much, but I'm no expert. Typical settings are around 2-1/2 to 3-ish, no?
              In my experience if you have to go out that many turns you need a larger pilot jet.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Done Shimming

The Shimming went very well. Radio Shack had the washers. I only had a chance to take it on a short ride. It seems much better. I want to turn the Airscrews in a bit now. So far it acts like it may be cured. Makes me wonder why the factory put those fat fiber washers in there. Maybe they swell up over time.
                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Lean Condition

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  In my experience if you have to go out that many turns you need a larger pilot jet.
                  Thats what I thought was wrong so, I just kept opening the Airscrews farther and farther. I'm going to back them down some now.
                  [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

More trouble

I rode about 25 miles after needle shim job. It ran the best it ever has. The airscrews were out 4 and 3/4. turns. When I got home I screwed them in and backed them out to 3 turns. Now it won't Idle at all and starts hard. If I choke it about 1/2 it starts but dies if I pull it up or push it down. It will rev and run above 2000RPM. The longer I own this GS1000 bike, the better I like my GS500. I'm just mad now 1 and 3/4 turns make that much difference?
                    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Sorry never mind

I'm a MORON, turning idle knob the wrong way. sorry
                      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

I'm a MORON, turning idle knob the wrong way. sorry
                        Runs Great, The Shimming did the trick.
                        [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

The fact that you admit your mistakes means you are not a moron... you just learn from errors...but turning idle the wrong way?
                          Curt
                          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Working...
                          X