Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch

OK any thoughts? My clutch plates stick together when the engine is off. Start it in gear hot or cold there is a little lurch but once ridden it works just fine. Sitting at a traffic light go from neutral to first no problem, but shut it off and she's not happy. Tried a spare basket and hub and different plates and no joy. From engine off it will eventually run long enough with the clutch lever pulled to permit going into gear minus the crunch. Clutch cable smooth and routed per manual. so what the? PS been a problem clutch since new
    Last edited by mustangflyr; 07-02-2010, 09:21 PM. Reason: more info
    1980 GS1000E

You say it's been a problem clutch since new? Does this mean you've recently replaced the friction discs? If so, did you soak the discs overnight in oil before installing?

Comment

Clutch

Ever since the bike was new there has been a problem relating to the clutch disengaging. Seems as if a shaft continues to rotate causing the clash when engaging a gear. The plates were soaked overnight before they were installed about a year agao.
      1980 GS1000E

Comment

Just noticed you live in Palm Valley, I think we met at a classic motorcycle meet at the beaches one night at AppleBees.....Dont you have that gorgeous blue 1000 with CV carbs and chain drive ???.....Anyway, I'm the guy with the blue 79 GS1000 that knows Buddy Vitt.......I have a few suggestions. First of all, only use factory Suzuki plates. Lightly oil them, both sides as you put them in the motor and put the steels in with the smooth side facing out. They are stamped steel and do have a smooth side and a sharp side. Measure the springs for free length and replace them if any are different. Apparently if these motors sit for even a few months, the plates get gummy or sticky. I replaced mine a couple years ago for the same symptoms that you have. What kind of oil are you using ???......Billy

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
          Just noticed you live in Palm Valley, I think we met at a classic motorcycle meet at the beaches one night at AppleBees.....Dont you have that gorgeous blue 1000 with CV carbs and chain drive ???.....Anyway, I'm the guy with the blue 79 GS1000 that knows Buddy Vitt.......I have a few suggestions. First of all, only use factory Suzuki plates. Lightly oil them, both sides as you put them in the motor and put the steels in with the smooth side facing out. They are stamped steel and do have a smooth side and a sharp side. Measure the springs for free length and replace them if any are different. Apparently if these motors sit for even a few months, the plates get gummy or sticky. I replaced mine a couple years ago for the same symptoms that you have. What kind of oil are you using ???......Billy
          Yep that's me, I remember you as well. I'll give the clutch a tear down and an inspection and see what's up. The oil I'm using is Amsoil 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil
          1980 GS1000E

Comment

Update

Just went through the clutch again and replaced the drive plates with new EBC plates soaked overnight in oil checked the driven plates could find no problems. Well got it back together and gave it a try. Some clash when going into first but got better, then during a 60 mile ride it got to the point where no go into first from neutral without a crunch. Got it home and back to sticking plates. Checked it after the engine cooled off you know put it into 1st and pulled in the clutch and the plates were stuck but good. Per EBC's instructions used straight 10w-40 petroleum oil not synthetic, WT ?!?
            1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
            X