honda cvcc motor in a suzuki?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

honda cvcc motor in a suzuki?

My brother keeps trying to tell me that my GS850G motor is a honda CVCC motor and when he couldnt find a picture of it said it was still a honda motor is it true does anyone out there know?

Well, that's just BS.
    The original CVCC was a special engine with a tiny extra extra intake valve designed to let in a little bit of a very rich mixture, which allowed the rest of the intake to be a much leaner mixture. The small shot of rich stopped detonation even though the overall mixture was very lean.

I have never seen such a thing on a Suzuki GS.

From Wikipedia:

Honda CVCC engines have normal inlet and exhaust valves, plus a small auxiliary inlet valve which provides a relatively rich air / fuel mixture to a volume near the spark plug. The remaining air / fuel charge, drawn into the cylinder through the main inlet valve is leaner than normal. The volume near the spark plug is contained by a small perforated metal plate. Upon ignition flame fronts emerge from the perforations and ignite the remainder of the air / fuel charge. The remaining engine cycle is as per a standard four stroke engine.

This combination of a rich mixture near the spark plug, and a lean mixture in the cylinder allowed stable running, yet complete combustion of fuel, thus reducing CO (carbon monoxide) and hydrocarbon emissions.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The 850 is definitely not a Honda CVCC motor...

Clip your brother round the ear for us please, and tell him not to blaspheme...

Comment

Your brother sounds like a jerk!

Comment

Not a jerk, an idiot.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Not a jerk, an idiot.
            Not an idiot, just sadly misinformed.

Well he might be a misinformed idiot.

Comment

I think we have a new record-holder in the "Weirdest GS Question Ever" category.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by chompper View Post
                My brother keeps trying to tell me that my GS850G motor is a honda CVCC motor and when he couldnt find a picture of it said it was still a honda motor is it true does anyone out there know?
                here's a picture of a CVCC engine:

don't look nuttin like a GS850G engine.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidduarte View Post
                  here's a picture of a CVCC engine:

don't look nuttin like a GS850G engine.

I'll admit I'm a bit jealous of that nice big alternator...
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    I'll admit I'm a bit jealous of that nice big alternator...
                    Hah! Right there with ya, Brian!!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by davidduarte View Post
                      ... don't look nuttin like a GS850G engine.
                      Oh, I don't know about that.

That oil filter location looks might close.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Oh, I don't know about that.

That oil filter location looks might close.

As does the distribut- Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Comment

He says the 1976

he says the original cvcc pre-civic and he says the block is the same. and i have looked at pictures of an old honda 750 m/c and the engines look surprisingly similar. i personally dont think the GS850 has a honda engine but my bro says the block is the same. I personally dont know im not a honda guy he used to work for honda as a tech. he says "the upper half is changed in the m/c to allow for air cooling" i personally would really like to get some diffinitive way to prove him wrong anyone have a pic or know where i can get a pic of the original cvcc engine at least the block anyway. im really gettin sick of him tellin me my SUZUKI has a honda engine he got honda on the brain i think

Comment

Your brother is just flat-a$$ed wrong. Did Suzuki have them recast the bottom end for the tranny and clutch? How about the stator out on one end of the crank and ignition on the other? The original GS was closer to the Kawasaki KZ engine than anything else.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2010, 12:38 AM.

Comment

OK I'm old enough to remember the motor he's talking about,I think.
                              Pre Civic the first real car Honda did was the 1300 - front wheel drive,transverse engine and fan cooled. SOHC - which was laid out just like the CB750. Very nice die casting exercise - state of the art at the time and done by the CB750 design team I believe.
                              Copious finning and nice fan shrouds.
                              But - plain bearing crank, SOHC, Camchain on the end of the crank.
                              And it was not CVCC cylinder head.
                              How does this look like a Suzuki roller bearing DOHC motor ?

I repeat, clip him round the ear... Brothers are like that.

A good friend had a 1300 - and raced it here. It was the rare high performance version with 4 CV carbs - and would murder a 1275 Mini Cooper in a straight line.

Comment

Working...
                              X