X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch cable- engine end

dumb question i'm sure.

82 650G

the screw that feeds through the clutch arm, and into the clutch cable, keeps backing out. i try to keep that little lock nut abutting the cable, but still it backs out.

what am i doing wrong? it's a daily issue. i have a little screw driver at the ready in my tank bag, but tightening it up every 20 minutes tells me i'm overlooking something stupid.

thanks in advance.

do the nut up a bit tighter!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

are the threads on the little nut getting sloppy?
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

the threads are good. i had to replace the cable last year. the damned things are slippery though....i overdid some lube, and the bottom end is still...er...well lubed.

is that all it is? just get that little lock nut up against the cable nice and tight? i thought i've been getting it tight, but if that is the issue, i suppose not.

Comment

How about a little Loctite on the threads?

Comment

i tightened them up as best i could. if it backs out again, i guess i will have to try a little loctite. would rather not, but anything is better than adjusting the clutch cable every 10 minutes.

thanks fellas. i thought perhaps i was just overlooking something dumb, which is generally what i do.

once, i spent 2 days trying to hook the vacuum line, with its too small diameter, to the gas outlet on my petcock. that's the kind of stuff i regularly pull.

Comment

Doesn't the lock nut tighten up against the threaded piece cast into the case?
              Not sure what you mean by tightening it against the cable.
              Post a pic for us?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The clutch cable is part #6. I believe he is speaking of part #7, which appears to screw into the end of the cable.

Comment

yes.. part 7. it goes thru the clutch arm/lever on top of the clutch casement, and then into the tail end of the clutch cable. part 8 appears to be that little lock nut i'm talking about....it hasn't been doing its job for me, permitting #7 to back out..

and with the backing out, i have too much play in the cable, and difficulty shifting.

Comment

You might try a second lock nut, locking them together. This has worked for me occasionally.

Comment

Working...
                    X