Stiff clutch lever gs450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff clutch lever gs450

Hi, I have restored a 1982 gs450, it had been standing for a few years, the clutch works but it is very stiff, and the bitting point is when the lever is at almost full release position. What should I check, I noticed the adjuster at the engine end of the clutch cable is fully adjusted out. Thanks, Darren. UK.

My first point of investigation would be the cable, check that it is loose and moves easily when disconnected at both ends, if not there are two possible causes, firstly check that it is routed properly, no kinks or sharp bends, check that it is not being pinched under the tank somewhere, if that checks out, check that it is not full of muck inside from age, dirt and gunk inside the outer sleeve will make it bind up with the inner.
    If the cable checks out fine, then check the geometry of the clutch arm at the bottom make sure it all lines up correctly.
    I speak under correction but i think I remember the 450 having a clutch pushrod that runs through the motor, check that the rod is free and not bent.
    Hope that helps.

One more thing, if the bike has been standing a long time, the clutch plates may be gummed up and sticking together a good run getting the motor up to running temp and exersising the clutch should sort that out.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2010, 05:11 AM. Reason: Spelling sucks

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply, I will check out the points you have mentioned. Darren

Comment

If you haven't done so, change the oil. terrylee

Comment

Ok, the oil looks like new, but maybe it still needs changing?

Comment

If it is a clutch cable that has an unknown history (how old) it doesn't cost that much to replace the cable. ($10.34 USD at Bikebandit on the 82' GS450TZ).

But, cable lube does wonders also.

And, if you have not checked or cleaned and re-greased the clutch screw assembly, (usually #25 on most micro-fische on the clutch schematic for the 82' GS450TZ), located inside the small round cover on the right side cover, it could be gummed up as well.

Also, the clutch lever perch where the clutch lever mounts make sure the piviot bolt is not clamping the lever too much there should be some gap.

E
            Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2010, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Dollars to donuts its the(inner) clutch cable itself. If its original its past its "shelf date". It is very likely the cable is fraying and binding inside the sheath, Lubing will not help this. they are relatively inexpensive and still available from suzuki dealers. Safe yourself frustration and just replace it

I have recently done one for an 82 400E and it makes a huge difference.

Good luck with it.
              Chers,
              spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                Dollars to donuts its the(inner) clutch cable itself. If its original its past its "shelf date". It is very likely the cable is fraying and binding inside the sheath, Lubing will not help this. they are relatively inexpensive and still available from suzuki dealers. Safe yourself frustration and just replace it

I have recently done one for an 82 400E and it makes a huge difference.

Good luck with it.
                Chers,
                spyug
                To check your clutch cable do this: Pull it completely out. Examine the barrels on each end. If any of the strands are broken at either barrel, replace it. If not, slide the inner cable all the way out to all the way in. If it is stiff, run a cleaner through it (I use WD-40 or PBlaster) and let it drip dry. Then lube the cable (they make cable lube aerosol cans, but I just drip 3 in 1 oil until it comes out the other end). After it is properly lubed, again slide it out and in. If it is still difficult, it is kinked somewhere inside, replace it. In my 40+ years of riding, I have never seen a cable fray anywhere except at the barrels, but I have seen them kinked. I am all for replacing parts that need it. I am against replacing parts until the problem is fixed. Instead, troubleshoot down until you determine the exact problem(s) repair or replace those parts and be on your way.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will be checking it out this weekend, thanks again. Darren.

Comment

Working...
                  X