Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Valve Adjustment Opinions

Hello All,

So after purchasing a 1982 GS 750 EZ last January and getting her up and running, I have decided to take on the job of adjusting the valves. She has 15,500 miles on her now and only 14,500 on her when I bought her. I performed all the usual work one should do after getting a bike that came with no info from the previous owner.

Changed oil/filter, new air filter, rebuilt carbs, new fuel lines, inspected and new fluid for the brakes, new battery...and a few things I'm probably forgetting.

Here's my battle plan:

1) Using the tutorial I've downloaded from GS Resources, I'm going to adjust the valves.

2) After that, I'm going to use the Colortune spark plug tool to adjust the carbs.

3) Then use a Carbtune synchronizer to synch the carbs.

Presto! I should have a pretty close to perfect running engine! She runs pretty good now but I have no idea when the last time the valves were adjusted by the previous owner(s).

I am looking for any advise as to if this is the proper sequence to do this.

Also, should I do anything to clean the valves? Or should they even be cleaned?

I know to put a rag or something to keep anything from falling in when the valve cover is off.

Is there anyway to check the cam chains while the valve cover is off..or should I even do that? Besides the obvious info from the tutorial, is there anything I should know or be aware of?

Maybe I'm asking too much.....sorry.

Thanks for any help
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Looks like you have the order correct... you might want to read up on the cam chain tensioner inspection... It is automatic if it is stock. But sometimes they need rebuilding...
    Curt
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
      ...all the usual work one should do after getting a 28 year old bike that came with no info from the previous owner...
      Concerning my edit there, please add rebuilding the brakes to the to-do list.

The cam chains are almost never an issue on a stock GS engine, but check the tensioner, as Curt said. They sometimes get gummed up, and often leak. It's an age thing.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yep..did it

Hey Dogma... yep, did that too. Just didn't mention it fully in my first posting. Thanks..
        sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
        1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
        1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
        1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
        1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
        1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
        1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
        1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Colortune?

Let us know how this works out for you. After struggling with a Motion Pro manometer I went for the Colortune/Carbtune package.

Since I really can't do much with the "highest RPM" method I was looking forward to trying the Colortune on both of my 750's. I could go lean until the cylinder "blacked-out" but I quit trying to get a "rich indication" after about six turns.

Boy I like the Carbtune though.
          sigpic
          1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
          2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Working...
          X