Is the battery shot??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the battery shot??

Over a month ago my bike started to crank more slowly than normal. Then one day it was just dead. I put it on a long slow charge after topping up the levels with distilled water. Once charged, I checked the output of the stator at the battery per the stator papers and the output at the battery at idle was about 13.6, at 5,000 rpm about 13.9-14.0. According to the stator papers at 5,000 it should be under 14.5 so I figured I'm good. I rode the bike for over a month with absolutely no problems. I put over 300 miles on it last week and this past weekend it seemed like it was cranking weak again. Today no crank at all. So I guess my questions are.....

Is the output OK from the stator between 13.6 and 13.9?

Is it time to get a new battery? (the one in it is a generic auto zone variety) The PO said it was new last year. I bought the bike last September.

With that voltage, the stator is providing enough voltage to recharge the battery.
    Take it to VatoZone and have them test it. They test for both voltage and current. If it is bad, I highly recommend this AGM battery:
    Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

Comment

Those voltages are good, Since it has been over a month I would recheck and make sure they are still the same. Check the battery..

Comment

I found a AGM( Advance Glass Mat) at Interstate batteries with 220 cranking amps to turn over my 10.5-1 compression motor for $56.00. Good stuff...
        Curt
        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Working...
        X