Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator/Crank Cover Bolt Sizes?

Hey Guys,

I was replacing the stator on my GS850 and realized how horrible of an idea it was to install the stator cover with Phillips head bolts--all of which promptly stripped and had to be drilled out during the disassembly (I used both a hammer-driven and electrically operated impact drivers during my attempt to remove them). I would like to replace all of these screws, both outside and inside (retaining the stator) the stator cover with hex-head or allen bolts. However, because I destroyed most of the bolts during removal, accurate measurement is difficult.

Does anyone happen to know the thread specifications as well as the number of lengths required to replace all the bolts on the left side stator/crank cover? It seems like there were 2 or 3 longer screws than the rest. Also, does anyone have a recommendation regarding what they should be replaced with?

Thanks to all of you in advance!

I checked the fiche and came up with the suzuki part numbers then googled the part numbers. Here's what I come up with for my GL850GLZ.

01547-06457 6x45 quantity 2
    01547-06407 6x40 quantity 4
    01547-06357 6x30 quantity 3

Of course YMMV depending on what year.

In anycase you could do the same thing I did to get the numbers.
    If you don't know anywhere to look up the suzuki parts try this one
    http://www.cycledesignonline.com and walk your way through the fiche. The link is on the front page of the site.

Comment

My suzuki dealer gave me the bolts I'm using on my stator cover and they worked just fine.

Here's what I am using:

This area is to be used only for general GS topics. For non-GS related topics, join the Off-Topic usergroup. <b>Technical questions are not to be posted here.</b>
      Last edited by cowboyup3371; 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

You might consider ordering up a set of allen head bolts for your bike from Z1 Enterprises. They look great and are much easier to work with.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks, BassCliff, I ordered the complete replacement set because it seems like it'd be cheaper than buying all of those fasteners individually and I want to get all of those phillips head bolts off the bike ASAP before I get stuck in the middle of another project. Much appreciated, everyone!

Comment

Working...
          X