Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam shaft tensioner-jiggling around?

Hello,
    recently my cam shaft tensioner, the part on the right side with the external spring has began to jiggle around when the engines running. I tried taking the cam shaft tensioner off the bike and following all the steps to "re-set" it, and its still jiggling. How can I fix this? Thanks,
    DG

It sounds like something broke loose in the tensioner. I don't know specifically what to do with that other than take it apart and see what's going on in there. Possibly the spring that twists the knob is broken.

I dunno. At least your thread got a bump.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Jiggling ??......how ??? Is the whole mechinisim rattling around ?? In any case, it's not good. If the tensioner fails you're going to have "real" problems.
      As Dogma says best to remove it and check it out. Did you use this when you reset it ? Have a look, it's for replacing the gaskets, but, it also explains the tensioner very well.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Do not run that bike until you figure out what is causing it!
        If that tensioner gets too loose, the chain will come right off the sprockets or start to jump teeth, REALLY NOT good at all.
        ( according to what people have also said on here)

The problem could just be that the small locking nut is just loose, and hence the wheel/ spring assembly is just wobbling around.
        All you do is tighten it back on and use a little thread locker.
        (actually i think that's a common problem is that Nut coming loose, so check it out !)

Comment

Get the manual and remove and test this.

Catastrpohic engine failure is in your future should you run the engine without a properly functioning tensioner.

I think you may be describing the movement of the large knurled ring which may be normal so do not get freaked out.

Comment

Thanks! the knurled ring is what i was trying to say. If i tighten it a tin bit it stays in place, but goes loose a moment later. Ill try a little locktite on it-thanks for the help!

Comment

Loc-tite is not the answer. The knurled knob should be under spring tension. Something is missing, broken or maladjusted.
              Dogma
              --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks, i actually dont know where i would put the locktite anyways. Maybe the spring by the knurled adjuster needs to be replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
                  Thanks, i actually dont know where i would put the locktite anyways. Maybe the spring by the knurled adjuster needs to be replaced?
                  Maybe. The last little bend on the spring should fit into a small hole in the knurled knob. The knob has an oval-shaped hole where it slides onto the shaft. The spring should be pre-loaded so that the know is always trying to turn.

Have you found this page yet? Step 12 especially shows how this should be assembled.
                  Dogma
                  --

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                  X